About Region 4’s Laboratory Services and Applied Science Division (LSASD)
What We Do
Located in Athens, Georgia, the Laboratory Services and Applied Science Division (LSASD), through its scientific and technical support services, provides a solid foundation for decision-making by a wide variety of environmental programs and initiatives. LSASD, with its state-of-the-art laboratory facility and its multidisciplinary staff of chemists, biologists, engineers, and other scientists and professionals, serves as the primary provider of scientific and technical expertise and environmental data for the EPA’s Region 4 offices.
In June 2016, LSASD was accredited for both field and laboratory operations by the ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board in accordance with the International Organization for Standardization’s ISO/IEC 17025:2005 International Standard for Forensic Testing. In doing so, LSASD became the first and only organization in the Agency to be ISO/IEC 17025 Accredited for field, laboratory and forensics operations while maintaining its Certification for Drinking Water Analyses through the EPA Office of Water.
LSASD conducts over 100 field investigations and 15,000 sample analyses yearly, while providing a variety of training courses to hundreds of regulatory professionals within and outside of EPA Region 4.
Documents Produced by LSASD
- Quality System and Technical Procedures For LSASD Field Branches
- Managing the Quality of Environmental Data at Region 4 (Southeast)
John Blevins, Director
- Phone: (706) 355-8500
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hunter Johnson, Deputy Director
- Phone: (706) 355-8500
- Email: email@example.com
- Accreditations and Lab Certifications
- Field Services Branch
- Laboratory Services Branch
- Quality and Support Services Branch
Accrediations and Lab Certifications
- The Drinking Water Certificate, issued to the LSASD Laboratory Services Branch, for the analysis of drinking waters samples.
- The ISO/IEC 17025 and Forensic Testing Accreditation Certificate and Scope for the LSASD’s Laboratory and Field Operations.
Hazardous Waste Section and Water Quality Section
LSASD supports the EPA Region 4 media programs and provides direct support to States and Tribes as well as EPA Headquarters and other Federal Agencies in the following areas:
- Enforcement Activities
- Criminal Investigations
- Air Monitoring
- Emergency Response
- Comprehensive Water Quality Studies
- Specialized Biological and Engineering Studies
Unique field capabilities include:
- Direct push technology (DPT) rigs to install temporary and permanent groundwater monitoring wells and collect soil cores at depths up to 100 feet;
- Vibracore sampler used with a pontoon boat to collect sediment cores at depths up to ten feet in large water bodies;
- Collection of soil gas samples for vapor intrusion studies; and
- Geophysical surveys to identify underground anomalies such as buried drums.
Laboratory Services Branch
The Laboratory Services Branch (LSB) maintains accreditation for all environmental media and analyzes over 4,000 samples each year in support of a variety of regional programs including Superfund, water, RCRA, and air.
Quality and Support Branch
The Quality and Support Branch (QSB) leads the Regional Quality Assurance (QA) Program and provides complete Program Support Services for the Division. The QA Program establishes the framework to ensure consistent, scientifically sound data of unquestionable quality. With a strong quality management structure focused on continual improvement, our primary QA functions are:
- Oversight of the Media Programs (Superfund, Air, Water, ECAD, LCRD) Quality Systems;
- Technical support to the States, Tribes, and local government and non-government agencies;
- Drinking water laboratory evaluations and certifications in support of state and tribal laboratories;
- State and tribal laboratory performance testing studies for drinking water certification;
- Ambient air monitoring technical systems audits for Region 4 State, local and tribal agencies;
- Ozone instrument certifications for Region 4 air monitoring agencies;
- Management of the Regional PM2.5 Performance Evaluation Program and the National Performance Audit Program;
- Oversight of operation of the National PM2.5 Gravimetric Laboratory; and,
- Oversight of the Contract Laboratory Program Data Review and Validation Process;
- Development of training/guidance on data quality, laboratory practices/ethics, designated approving officials (DAO’s) and other topics as requested.
QSB also provides coordination and support for the following LSASD functions:
- Budget management;
- Purchasing and procurements;
- Property, fleet, and facility management;
- Health and safety;
- IT services, including LAN management and database development;
- Resource tracking, allocations, and utilization; and,
- Contract management for the Contract Laboratory Program and Environmental Services Assistance Team.
Training Offered By LSASD
The US-EPA, Region 4, Laboratory Services and Applied Science Division (LSASD) has always taken a leadership role in providing Environmental Training and Technical Assistance to Region 4 States, Indian Tribes, and other Federal Agencies. Each year, LSASD provides a variety of training courses to hundreds of regulatory professionals within and outside of Region 4. LSASD provides formal classroom training combined with hands-on field training. Managers, State and Local inspectors, and other Federal/State/Local personnel interested in these courses can contact LSASD at 706-355-8500 or email LSASD at R4LSASDWEB@epa.gov.