An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Burn Bans on Indian Reservations in ID, OR, and WA

Burn Ban Alert

There are no EPA burn bans currently in effect. See current burn ban status for more information.

The EPA has authority under the FARR to issue temporary bans on certain types of outdoor burning on reservations in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington.

On this page:

Current Burn Ban Status

There are no EPA burn bans in effect for reservations in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington.

Before burning, see also delegated and tribal burn bans.

See about EPA burn bans below for more information about what types of burning are restricted during an EPA burn ban, potential health impacts , and other local burning requirements.

For questions, or to receive EPA burn ban announcements by email, contact the FARR Hotline ( or 1-800-424-4372.

Top of Page

How do temperature inversions affect air quality?

Diagram showing how temperature inversions during winter can impact outdoor air quality.

About EPA Burn Bans

When an EPA burn ban is in place, it applies to all outdoor and agricultural burning - including camping and recreational fires - in all areas within the external reservation boundaries regardless of ownership or tribal membership. See exemptions below.

We also request that reservation residents reduce all sources of air pollution, including excess driving and idling of vehicles, and the use of woodstoves and fireplaces unless it is your only adequate source of heat.

Air pollution can have significant health impacts. Cooperation from the community will help people who are at risk during this period. Those most at risk are children, the elderly, pregnant women and those with difficulty breathing and with heart and lung problems. Those at risk should avoid outdoor exercise and minimize exposure to outdoor pollution as much as possible.

Also check with your local fire department or appropriate tribal agency for any local burning requirements. The Coeur d'Alene, Colville, Nez Perce, Quinault, Swinomish, and Umatilla Tribes have delegation or their own authority to call their own burn bans (see delegated and tribal burn bans).

Top of Page

What Types of Burning are Exempt?

Ceremonial and traditional fires are exempt from outdoor burn bans called by EPA.

Top of Page

Delegated and Tribal Burn Bans

If you live on one of the following reservations, you should also check with the tribe before burning:

Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation

Colville Indian Reservation

Nez Perce Indian Reservation

Quinault Indian Reservation

Swinomish Indian Reservation

  • Visit Swinomish Air Quality Program Exit or call the Swinomish Burn Hotline at 360-466-2722. Fires greater than four feet in diameter require a burn permit from the Planning Office.

Umatilla Indian Reservation

Top of Page

State and Local Burn Bans

If you live outside of an Indian reservation, contact your state or local air quality agency for more information about burn bans in your area.

The following links exit the site Exit

Idaho burn bans

Oregon burn bans

Washington burn bans

Top of Page