Biennial Hazardous Waste Report
Federal regulations require large quantity generators to submit a report every two years regarding the nature, quantities and disposition of hazardous waste generated at their facility. EPA refers to this as the National Biennial RCRA Hazardous Waste Report or Biennial Report.
The Biennial Report form (EPA form 8700-13A/B) must be submitted to the authorized state agency or EPA regional office by March 1 of every even-numbered year (for example, a report due by March 1, 2020, would report activities from calendar year 2019). The form includes information such as:
- Facility’s EPA ID Number,
- Facility’s name and address,
- Quantity and nature of hazardous waste generated, and
- Whether the hazardous waste was sent for recycling, treatment, storage, or disposal.
Resources for Submitters
Small quantity generators and very small quantity generators of hazardous waste are not required to submit biennial reports, but may be subject to state-specific reporting requirements. All generators should consult their state agencies to clarify the specific reporting requirements for that state.
Resources for States and EPA Regions
- 2019 Biennial Report File Specifications Guide (88 pp, 472 K, About PDF)
- 2019 Biennial Report File Specifications Guide - Change Log (1 pp, 9.4 K, About PDF)
- 2019 Biennial Report File Specifications Guide for Industry Users ( pp 37, 9.4 K, About PDF)