You are here:
EPA's Role in the North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC)
Moving forward, the CEC will focus on projects and activities to tackle climate change and improve air quality, increase green transportation and address waste in trade. These are just a few amongst a host of cross-cutting issues to protect human health and the environment in North America.
- Other Recent Activities
- CEC Council
- CEC Secretariat
- Joint Public Advisory Committee
- Other Advisory Committees
- North American Partnership for Environmental Community Action (NAPECA)
- Working Groups
- Strategic Plan
- Operational Plan
This year’s Ministerial Council Session will take place September 8-9, 2016. Rafael Pacchiano Alamán, Mexico’s Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources, will host United States Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy and Canada’s Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna, in Mérida, Yucatán, at the 23rd annual Regular Session of the Council of the Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC) of North America. Exit
This year’s Council session will focus on the role of youth within the work of the CEC, in particular, on ecosystems and climate change, and supporting sustainable communities. The Council meeting will include a public town hall session on these topics, featuring the three environment ministers, CEC Executive Director César Rafael Chávez, and CEC Joint Public Advisory Committee (JPAC) Chair Lindsay Brumwell. During the Town Hall, the Council will answer questions from the public in-person and online through social media.
- July 2015: EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy hosted her counterparts from Canada and Mexico in Boston, Massachusetts, for the 22nd Annual Regular Session of the CEC. This year’s meeting featured a public forum, hosted by the CEC’s Joint Public Advisory Committee (JPAC), and a public session headed by the three environment ministers.
- April 2015: The Joint Public Advisory Committee (JPAC) held its first regular session of 2015 in Monterrey, Mexico on Green Growth and Sustainable Competitiveness in North America.Exit
- April 2015: The U.S. National Advisory Committee and Governmental Advisory Committee (NAC-GAC) met in Washington, D.C. to formulate advice to the U.S. Representative to the CEC (the Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency).
- November 2014: The Joint Public Advisory Committee hosted “North America’s Coasts in a Changing Climate” Exit in Washington, D.C.
- April 2014: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved the public release of the CEC factual record regarding United States activities under the Clean Water Act (CWA) to address mercury releases from coal-fired power plants. Read the Supplemental Statement from the U.S. EPA. Read the Factual Record on the CEC website. Exit
- March 2014: The North American parties to the CEC awarded $1.2 million in grants under the North American Partnership for Environmental Community Action (NAPECA) program. Exit