History of the Newtown Fish Toxicology Station 1962-1992
In the summer of 1913, the U.S. established its first federal research facility dedicated to studying sewage and water pollution in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio at the Public Health Services Hospital. The lab's mission was to study pollution and natural purification of the Ohio River. Plans were developed for the Newtown Fish Toxicology Lab on a 16 acre site in 1960. The Station opened in 1962. This is history of the Station from its beginning until it's functions were transferred to the A.W. Breidenbach Environmental Research Center in Cincinnati 30 years later.