Resources on this page:
- Advance Program Fact Sheet
- Ozone Advance Guidance
- PM Advance Guidance
- Advance Sign Up Letter Template
- NetZero U.S. Army Sustainability Initiative – Connect with military installations in your area to see how your Advance efforts relate to their upcoming energy efficiency and sustainability-related efforts, and add this information to your next path forward update.
- EnviroAtlas – EPA’s interactive web-based tool that states, communities, and citizens can use to help inform policy and planning decisions. EnviroAtlas combines maps, analysis tools, fact sheets, and downloadable data into an easy-to-use, web-based resource that allows users to understand the implications of various decisions and their potential impacts on ecosystems.
- Smart Growth and Economic Success - EPA reports exploring the economic advantages of smart growth for businesses, real estate developers, investors, and local governments.
- EPA Emissions Inventories - A clearinghouse for emissions inventories.
- EPA's Tribal Air Program Resources - Provides technical assistance and program support to build tribal capacity.
- EPA State and Local Transportation Resources - Provides resources that identify emission reduction strategies and other types of assistance to help states and local areas achieve their air quality and transportation objectives.
- National Clean Diesel Campaign - Promotes clean air strategies by working with manufacturers, fleet operators, air quality professionals, environmental and community organizations, and state and local officials to reduce diesel emissions.
- Green Vehicle Guide - Includes information to help consumers find the cleanest, most fuel efficient vehicles that meet their needs.
- Dept of Energy's Clean Cities Initiative - Advances the nation's economic, environmental, and energy security by supporting local actions to reduce petroleum consumption in transportation. A national network of nearly 100 Clean Cities coalitions brings together public stakeholders and private sectors to deploy alternative and renewable fuels, idle-reduction measures, fuel economy improvements, and emerging transportation technologies.
Energy Efficiency/Renewable Energy
- AVoided Emissions and GeneRation Tool (AVERT) - This free EPA tool estimates the emissions benefits of energy efficiency and renewable energy policies and programs, and is designed to meet the needs of state air quality planners and other interested users.
Heat Island and Green Infrastructure
- Heat Island Effect - Provides a compendium of mitigation strategies, a community action database, and regularly scheduled webcasts.
EPA's Valley Identification Tool and Valley Profile Tool - Valleys in New England are especially vulnerable to higher levels of PM2.5 from wood smoke during winter air inversions. These tools identify populated valleys throughout New England that are at risk for wood smoke pollution. They can be used to better plan air quality monitoring, outreach and mitigation.
EPA Burn Wise Program - Provides information to assist air agencies and the public in reducing particle pollution from residential wood smoke.
Menu of Control Measures: listing of potential emissions reduction measures for direct PM2.5 and precursors of ozone and PM2.5
Supplemental Information for Ozone Advance Areas Based On Pre-Existing National Modeling Analyses - Summarizes existing national-scale modeling analyses with regard to (1) NOx vs. VOC sensitivity and (2) future projections of ozone design values.
Emissions Inventory Development Resources- A clearinghouse for inventories and emission factors, emission assessment and estimation procedures, emissions data and projections
Emissions Inventory System - Quick Reference- Provides step-by-step instructions to generate reports in EIS for: (a) a list of counties with sector-total emissions for NOx and VOC and (b) a list of facilities and their NOx and VOC emissions for those same counties.
Energy Efficiency / Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy and Combined Heat and Power Policies and Programs
- Roadmap for Incorporating Energy Efficiency/Renewable Energy Policies and Programs Into State Implementation Plans/Tribal Implementation Plans
- A Toolkit for States: Using Supplemental Environmental Projects to Promote Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency in Local Government Operations - October 2011
- Energy Efficiency in K-12 Schools - May 2011
- Energy Efficiency in Affordable Housing - May 2011
- Energy-Efficient Product Procurement - September 2011
- Energy Efficiency in Water and Wastewater Facilities - May 2013
- Green Power Procurement - 2014
- On-Site Renewable Energy Generation - 2014
- Landfill Gas Energy - March 2012
- Commuter Programs: Quantifying and Using Their Emission Benefits in SIPs and Conformity (PDF) (13 pp, 500 K, EPA-420-B-14-004, February 2014About PDF)
- Policy and Guidance Documents to Assist Areas in Developing Strategies to Reduce Emissions from On-road and Non-road Sources
- Clean Diesel Publications
- Guidance on Airport Emission Reduction Credits for Early Measures Through Voluntary Airport Low Emission Programs (PDF)(45 pp, 1.85 M, About PDF) - September 2004
- Voluntary Airport Low Emission Program - Technical Report, Version 7 (PDF) (164 pp, 1.9 MB) - December 2, 2012 (revised)
- Transportation Control Measures - An Information Document for Developing and Implementing Emission Reduction Programs (PDF) (42 pp, 6.3 MB) - March 2011
- Potential Changes in Emissions Due to Improvements in Travel Efficiency (PDF) (84 pp, 2.5 MB) - March 2011
- Analyzing Emission Reductions from Travel Efficiency Strategies: A Guide to the TEAM Approach (PDF) (46 pp, 1.6 MB) - September 2011
- Strategies for Reducing Residential Wood Smoke
- Guide to Using State SEPs to Implement Wood Stove Changeouts
- Wood Smoke Control Measures
- Outreach publications
- Burn Wise Tip Shee
- Burn Wise Tip Sheet in Spanish
- Wet Wood is a Waste Brochure
- Your Old Wood Stove's Dirty Little Secret Brochure
- Public Service Announcements (PSAs)
- Presentation Materials on SIP Basics
- Guidance on SIP Credits for Emission Reductions from Electric Sector Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Measures
- Improving Air Quality with Economic Incentive Programs, EPA-452/R-01-001
- Incorporating Emerging and Voluntary Measures in a State Implementation Plan (SIP)
- Incorporating Voluntary Stationary Source Emission Reduction Programs Into SIPs
- Multi-Pollutant, Risk-Based Air Quality Management Analysis for Upstate South Carolina