Basic Information about Advance
The Advance Program promotes local actions in attainment areas to reduce ozone and/or fine particle pollution (PM2.5) to help these areas continue to maintain the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS). The program encourages and supports states, tribes, and local governments that want to take proactive steps to keep their air clean.
Improvements in air quality could:
- help ensure continued health protection over the long term,
- provide state, tribal, and local governments with a cushion against potential future violations of the NAAQS,
- better position an area to avoid a nonattainment designation with respect to any future revised NAAQS,
- allow communities to better choose control measures and programs that make the most sense for their area and are cost-effective,
- result in multi-pollutant benefits; for example, reductions of nitrogen oxides can lead to lower ambient fine particulate matter levels as well as lower ambient ozone levels.
Local areas can take steps to reduce ozone and/or PM on their own, and EPA encourages these proactive efforts. However, some states, tribes, and local governments may prefer to pursue reductions within the Advance program framework with closer involvement and support from EPA.
- Read the Advance Fact Sheet, Ozone Advance Guidance and PM Advance Guidance for detailed program information.
Please contact your EPA Regional office or the EPA Headquarters Advance Programm team at ADVANCE@epa.gov if you have questions about eligibility. Advance Program contacts in the EPA Regional Offices include:
EPA Region 1 ME, MA, RI, CT, NH, VT
Ozone and PM Advance: Alison Simcox, (617) 918-1684
EPA Region 2 NY, NJ, PR, VI
Ozone and PM Advance: Omar Hammad, (212) 637-3347
EPA Region 3 PA, WV, VA, DE, MD, DC
Ozone and PM Advance: Sara Calcinore, (215) 814-2043 and Erin Malone, (215) 814-2190
EPA Region 4 KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS
Ozone and PM Advance: Kelly Sheckler, (404) 562-9222
EPA Region 5 OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN
Ozone and PM Advance: Alexis Cain, (312) 886-7018
EPA Region 6 AR, LA, OK, NM, TX
Ozone and PM Advance: Randy Pitre, (214) 665-7299 and Carrie Paige, (214) 665-6521
EPA Region 7 IA, MO, KS, NE
Ozone and PM Advance: Lachala Kemp, (913) 551-7214
EPA Region 8 ND, SD, MT, WY, CO, UT
Ozone Advance: Chris Dresser, (303) 312-6385
PM Advance: Crystal Ostigaard, (303) 312-6602
EPA Region 9 NV, AZ, CA, HI
Ozone and PM Advance: Karina O’Connor, (775) 434-8176 and Ashley Graham, (415) 972-3877
EPA Region 10 AK, ID, OR, WA
Ozone Advance: Karl Pepple, (206) 553-1778
PM Advance: Christi Duboiski, (360) 753-9081 and Matt Jentgen, (206) 553-0340