Proposed CSAPR Close-Out
Determination Regarding Good Neighbor Obligations for the 2008 Ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standard
EPA is proposing to determine that the CSAPR Update Rule fully addresses the 20 covered states’ interstate pollution transport obligations for the 2008 national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS) for ground-level ozone. The proposal uses the latest data and modeling to assess air quality nonattainment and maintenance for the 2008 ozone NAAQS. This analysis projects that, by 2023, there will be no remaining nonattainment or maintenance areas for the 2008 Ozone NAAQS in the CSAPR Update region (which encompasses most of the eastern United States). Therefore, EPA would have no obligation to establish additional requirements for sources in these states to further reduce transported ozone pollution to meet the 2008 ozone NAAQS. In addition, the 20 covered states would not need to submit state implementation plans (SIPs) that would establish additional requirements beyond the CSAPR Update. The proposal would apply to states currently subject to CSAPR Update FIPs, as well as any state for which EPA has approved replacement of a CSAPR Update FIP with a CSAPR Update state implementation plan (SIP).
EPA held a public hearing on the proposed rule on August 1, 2018 in Washington, DC. The hearing provided interested parties the opportunity to present perspectives concerning the proposed action.
June 29, 2018 - Proposed Cross-State Air Pollution Rule Close-Out
EPA is proposing that the CSAPR Update Rule fully addresses certain states’ interstate pollution transport obligations for the 2008 ozone NAAQS.
- Proposed Determination Regarding Good Neighbor Obligations for the 2008 Ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standard
- Press Release
- Fact Sheet
Technical Support Documents (TSDs)
- Air Quality Modeling Technical Support Document for the Updated 2023 Projected Ozone Design Values
- Status of 110(a)(2)(D)(i)(I) SIPs for the 2008 Ozone NAAQS
- September 7, 2016 - Final Cross-State Air Pollution Rule Update
- Memo and Supporting Documentation on Interstate Transport SIPs for the 2008 Ozone NAAQS (Signed October 2017)