Burn Wise Best Practices Videos
How-to and Other Educational Videos
EPA YouTube Channel
New: Simple and Inexpensive Ways to Store Firewood: Clear and concise instructions for 4 easy-to-build structures to store your firewood, including tips to minimize seasoning time. Dry, seasoned wood means hotter fires, increased efficiency (less wood to haul), and less smoke.
New: Get the Best Burn from Your Firewood: There is a surprising amount of water in freshly cut wood! See tips to be sure you are burning dry, seasoned wood that will achieve hotter fires with less smoke. Spanish version is also available: Obtenga el mejor encendido de su leña: ¿Cuánta agua hay en su madera?
New! Tips for a Long Lasting Burn: Do you see smoke coming out of your chimney? This is wasted wood heat. Get tips from a certified chimney sweep on how to achieve a long-lasting, efficient fire in your wood stove.
- How to Build a Firewood Storage Shed (6 min)
- How to Test Your Firewood with a Moisture Meter (Wet Wood is a Waste) (2 min)
- Split, Stack, Store, Cover (2 min) -How to dry (season) your firewood.
Hearth Patio & Barbeque Association YouTube Channel
- Overview of Best Wood Burning Practices (3.5 minutes)
- Five Rules to Follow for an Efficient Fire (3.5 minutes)
- How to Buy, Split and Store Wood (3 minutes)
- Troubleshooting Information for Wood Stoves and Fireplace Inserts (about 4 minutes)
- How to Burn Wise with an EPA certified Non-Catalytic Stove (3 minutes)
- How to Burn Wise with an EPA Catalytic Stove (about 3 minutes)
- Safety and Maintenance Information for Wood Stoves and Fireplace Inserts (about 5 minutes)
- Introduction to Wood Stoves (3.5 minutes)
Other YouTube Videos
- Backyard fires -- wood smoke and how to reduce health effects --2 minute video by the American Lung Association
- Demonstration of heat and smoke comparison with wet versus dry wood in identical stoves - 1.5 minute video by Fairbanks North Star Borough
- Clearing the Smoke -- a 7 minute overview on the benefits seen from a Libby, Montana wood stove changeout (2008)