Asset Management Resources for Small Drinking Water Systems
Asset management is the practice of managing infrastructure capital assets to minimize the total cost of owning and operating them, while delivering the service level customers desire. This management framework has been widely adopted by the water sector as a means to pursue and achieve sustainable infrastructure.
The documents and tools below explain the benefits of asset management and ways to implement specific asset management practices for small systems.
- The Check Up Program for Small Systems (CUPSS)
CUPSS provides all the tools required for drinking water and wastewater utilities to implement an asset management program and develop effective asset management plans.
This document provides examples of common challenges faced by water systems and the asset management solutions that increase cost efficiency, improve system reliability, and fortify communications.
- Reference Guide for Asset Management Tools
This guide provides a framework to assist systems in all aspects of developing and implementing an asset management plan.
- Asset Management: A Best Practices Guide (EPA 816-F-08-014)
Asset management is maintaining a desired level of service for what you want your assets to provide at the lowest life cycle cost.
- Asset Management for Local Officials (EPA 816-F-08-015)
This fact sheet is intended for local officials who are directly or indirectly involved in decisions affecting water systems.
- Building an Asset Management Team (EPA 816-F-08-016)
This fact sheet is intended for local officials, owners and operators of water systems, technical assistance providers, and state personnel.
- Taking Stock of Your Water System: A Simple Asset Inventory for Very Small Drinking Water Systems (EPA 816-K-03-002)
This brochure is a guide to help very small water systems, such as manufactured home communities and homeowners associations, assess their condition by preparing a simple asset inventory.
- Asset Management: A Handbook for Small Public Water Systems – STEP Guide Series (EPA 816-R-03-016)
This guide is designed for owners and operators of small community water systems (CWSs). CWSs include all systems (both publicly and privately owned) with at least 25 year-round residential customers or 15 year-round service connections.
- State Asset Management Initiatives (PDF)
This document summarizes the initiatives states are taking in regard to asset management.