Perchlorate in Drinking Water
Perchlorate is a naturally occurring and manufactured chemical anion that consists of one chlorine atom bonded to four oxygen atoms (ClO4-). Perchlorate is commonly used as an oxidizer in rocket propellants, munitions, fireworks, airbag initiators for vehicles, matches and signal flares. It is naturally occuring in some fertilizers.
Perchlorate BBDR Model
EPA has announced the final peer reviewers and details regarding the peer review meeting scheduled for January 10 and 11, 2017, in Arlington, Virginia. EPA invites the public to register to attend the meeting as observers, either in-person or via teleconference. Time at the meeting will be set aside for brief oral statements from the public regarding the peer review materials. Persons wishing to make a brief statement must register as described in the Federal Register notice by January 3, 2017 and will be considered on a first-come, first served basis.
- Federal Register Notice: Peer Review of EPA’s Biologically Based Dose-Response (BBDR) Model for Perchlorate in Drinking Water – Final List of Peer Reviewers, Notice of the Pubic Peer Review Meeting and Final Peer Review Charge Questions
On September 30, EPA announced the availability of perchlorate peer review materials for public comment including a draft list of external peer review candidates, draft charge questions, a draft biologically-based dose-response (BBDR) model and draft BBDR accompanying report. Once the peer review of the BBDR report is complete, the Agency will seek peer review of a second report that evaluates methods to apply the BBDR model to develop a Maximum Contaminant Level Goal for perchlorate in drinking water.
The materials that were made available for review can be found at:
- Federal Register Notice: Peer Review Materials to Inform the Safe Drinking Water Act Decision Making: Perchlorate; Extension of Comment Period
- Federal Register Notice: Request for Public Comments to be sent to EPA on Peer Review Materials to Inform the Safe Drinking Water Act Decision Making on Perchlorate
- Federal Register Notice: Request for Public Comments to be sent to Versar, Inc. on an Interim List of Perchlorate in Drinking Water Expert Peer Reviewers and Draft Peer Review Charge Questions
Technical Fact Sheet
Perchlorate Reference Dose
Interim Health Advisory
Interim Drinking Water Health Advisory for Perchlorate, EPA 822-R-08-25, December 2008
Federal Register Notices
Public Meeting Notices
- Notice of a Public Meeting: Stakeholder Meeting Concerning EPA's Intent To Regulate Perchlorate Levels in Drinking Water - September 20, 2012
- Notification of a Public Meeting and Public Teleconference of the Science Advisory Board: Perchlorate Advisory Panel - July 18-19, 2012 and September 25, 2012
- Notice of a Public Meeting: Environmental Justice Considerations for Drinking Water Regulatory Efforts - March 3, 2011