Region 5 FY 21 Sustainable Materials Management Grants
Region 5 Fiscal Year 2021 Request for Applications (RFA) for Sustainable Materials Management Grants
Funding Opportunity Description
The EPA Region 5 Sustainable Materials Management program is announcing the availability of funds for program support. Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) is a systemic approach to using and reusing materials more productively over their entire lifecycles. It represents a change in how our society thinks about the use of natural resources and environmental protection. By looking at a product's entire life cycle, we can find new opportunities to reduce environmental impacts, conserve resources and reduce costs.
Applicants must address at least one of the following SMM priorities:
- Municipal and/or Industrial Recycling Markets in Region 5
Region 5 is requesting applications for projects that contribute to the development, expansion and/or improved understanding of markets in Region 5 states for municipal and/or industrial recycling.
- Preventing Food Loss and Waste Through Source Reduction and/or Food Rescue in Region 5
EPA is requesting applications for projects that that use the top two strategies of the Food Waste Hierarchy (Source Reduction and Feeding Hungry People) either individually or in a combination to prevent food loss and waste.
Projects should build on the principles outlined in the Food Recovery Hierarchy and demonstrate progress to reaching EPA’s 2030 Food Loss and Waste Reduction goal.
These projects benefit states in Region 5. Region 5 includes Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.
The total estimated funding range for this competitive funding opportunity is between $100,000 and $150,000. EPA Region 5 anticipates funding three grants and/or cooperative agreements from this announcement, ranging in value from $30,000 to $60,000, contingent upon funding availability, the quality of applications received, and other applicable considerations.
Refer to the full RFA for eligibility, submission requirements and instructions, evaluation criteria, and additional important information.
Informational Call and Questions
EPA R5 will host an informational call to discuss this RFA and respond to questions. Because all questions may not be asked and answered during the scheduled time for the call, questions should be submitted in advance to Susan Vescovi (email@example.com).
Phone Call Details
- Date: April 26, 2021 at 1:30 pm Central Time/ 2:30 pm Eastern Time
- Topic: Land, Chemicals and Redevelopment Division, Sustainable Materials Management Request for Applications
- Phone Number: 312-667-5632, Conference Code: 242 403 275#
Questions and Answers
- Questions and answers will be recorded during the phone call and distributed to interested applicants via this webpage.
- Additional questions will be answered following this phone call.
- The questions and answers will be posted weekly each Friday during the competition on this page.
- If you would like to submit a question, please contact Susan Vescovi at 312-353-2478 or firstname.lastname@example.org.