Great Lakes Restoration Initiative (GLRI)
The Great Lakes Restoration Initiative is the largest investment in the Great Lakes in two decades.
Federal agencies use GLRI resources to strategically target the biggest threats to the Great Lakes ecosystem and to accelerate progress toward long term goals. Combining GLRI resources with agency base budgets, we work with nonfederal partners to implement protection and restoration projects.
To guide this work, federal agencies have drafted GLRI Action Plan II, which summarizes the actions that federal agencies plan to implement during FY15-19 using GLRI funding. Action Plan III is in preparation.
- GLRI Action Plan Exit
- GLRI interagency website. Exit
- Learn about GLRI projects that EPA has funded Exit
- Toxic Substances and Areas of Concern
- Invasive Species
- Nonpoint Source Pollution Impacts on Nearshore Health
- Habitats and Species
- Foundations for Future Restoration Actions
- EPA provides $980,000 to Michigan to restore fish and wildlife habitat in Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron - April 12, 2018
- EPA announces $1.5M in grants to improve water quality in Grand Traverse Bay, Michigan - Nov. 1, 2017
- EPA Announces $2.7M in Grants to Tackle Invasive Species in Wisconsin - Oct. 17, 2017
- EPA awards $220,000 to City of Duluth to protect coastal wetland habitat - Oct. 13, 2017
- EPA provides $550,000 to Lorain County, Ohio, for water quality projects - Oct. 10, 2017
- EPA Awards $120,000 to Illinois for Project in Waukegan Harbor - July 26, 2017
- EPA Provides Environmental Education Grants to Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper and the Natural History Museum of the Adirondacks (The Wild Center) - March 3, 2017
- Up To $26 Million Available From EPA for GLRI Projects - Nov. 9, 2016
- EPA, Michigan and Local Officials Mark the Restoration of the River Raisin Area of Concern - Sept. 7, 2016
- EPA Awards 13 Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Shoreline Cities Grants Totaling Over $2 Million - Aug. 10, 2016
- U.S. EPA Highlights Seven Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Grants Totaling Over $3.3 Million for Northern Ohio - May 4, 2016
- U.S. EPA Announces 28 Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Grants Totaling Over $12.5 Million to Restore Great Lakes - May 4, 2016