An official website of the United States government.

Due to a lapse in appropriations, EPA websites will not be regularly updated. In the event of an environmental emergency imminently threatening the safety of human life or where necessary to protect certain property, the EPA website will be updated with appropriate information. Please note that all information on the EPA website may not be up to date, and transactions and inquiries submitted to the EPA website may not be processed or responded to until appropriations are enacted.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Importing Vehicles and Engines into the United States

Importing Vehicles and Engines into the United States

This site describes EPA emission regulations and requirements for importing into the United States:

  • motor vehicles
  • motor vehicle engines
  • heavy-duty on-highway engines
  • recreational vehicles (dirt bikes, all-terrain vehicles, offroad utility vehicles, and snowmobiles)
  • nonroad engines (generators, watercraft, and lawn and garden equipment)

The following links provide detailed information on EPA’s importation regulations and requirements:

Additional Information

In addition to EPA requirements, importers must also consider the requirements and regulations of these other agencies:

Short-term traverlers to the U.S. from Canada or Mexico:

  • May operate their own personal vehicles in the U.S. during their visit.
  • Such vehicles are not subject to EPA emission standards and other requirements. Residents of Canada or Mexico or any other country who wich to bring their vehicles into the U.S. for extended periods of time should refer to Section 2.2.5 -- Temporary Vehicle Imports for Nonresidents found in Procedures for Importing Vehicles and Engines into the United States (EPA-420-B-10-027, July 2010, (68 pp, 32MB, About PDF)).