An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Importing Vehicles and Engines

Importing Canadian Vehicles

Many Canadian vehicles have emission control systems that are identical to the emission control systems on equivalent vehicles certified in the United States. However, although they are identical to a certified configuration, these Canadian vehicles may not have an emissions compliance label identifying them as conforming to EPA requirements.

Importers need to verify whether the Canadian vehicle they are importing is or is not identical to a United States certified version.

A Canadian vehicle is identical to a United States certified version if one of the following is true:

  • The vehicle manufacturer’s United States representative has provided a letter of compliance that states the vehicle complies with all United States EPA regulations. Generally, EPA only accepts compliance information from the manufacturer’s United States or Canadian representative.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may request the importer submit a letter of compliance from the manufacturer, even if the vehicle is determined by EPA to be identical to a United States certified version.

Importers also need to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for NHTSA import regulations.

If the Canadian vehicle is not identical to a United States certified version, please refer to: