Links and Resources Related to Indoor Air Quality
On this page:
U.S. Government Agencies
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- U.S. Public Health Service (PHS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission protects the public from the unreasonable risk of injury or death from 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, you can go to:
- CPSC's File a Report
- Or, you can call CPSC's Product Safety Hotline at:
- (800) 638-CPSC | (800) 638-2772
- Maryland only – (800) 492-8104
- CPSC's teletypewriter – (800) 638-8270
- or send the information to CPSC at email@example.com.
Recorded information is available 24 hours a day when calling from a touch-tone phone. Operators are on duty Monday to Friday from 10:30 to 4 EST to take complaints about unsafe consumer products. For further information, State Offices.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Office of Energy and the Environment, Washington, DC 20410
- HUD USER National toll-free number – (800) 245-2691
- In Washington, DC area – (301) 251-5154.
U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE) invests in clean energy technologies that strengthen the economy, protect the environment and reduce dependence on foreign oil.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Indoor Environments Department, IAQ Scientific Findings Resource Bank
- (510) 486-6591
- IAQ Scientific Findings Resources Bank
U.S. Public Health Service
The Division of Federal Occupational Health, Office of Environmental Hygiene provides indoor air quality consultative services to federal agency managers.
- (215) 596-1888
- Fax – 215-596-5024
- FOH Division of Environmental Health Services
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) (800) 35-NIOSH | ((800) 356-4674)
- NIOSH Topics: Indoor Environmental Quality
- Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch – (800) 488-7330
- Office on Smoking and Health – (404) 488-5701
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Office of Information and Consumer Affairs:
- (800) 321-6742
- Local – (202) 219-8151
- OSHA's Safety and Health Topics Page on Health Hazards in Nail Salons
The more than 375,000 nail technicians working in salons across the U.S. face possible health hazards every day. The hazards include:
- exposure to chemicals from glues, polishes, removers and other salon products
- muscle strains from awkward positions or repetitive motions
- and risk of infection from contact with client skin, nails or blood
- Radon Hotlines
- National lead Information Center Hotlin
- National Pesticides Telecommunications Network
- RCRA/Superfund Hotline
- Safe Drinking Water Hotline
- TSCA Assistance Information Service
EPA supports the following hotlines to best serve consumers with radon-related questions and concerns:
- (800) SOS-RADON (767-7236)* Purchase radon test kits by phone.
- (800) 55RADON (557-2366)* Get live help for your radon questions.
- Radon Fit-It Hotline – (800) 644-6999* For general information on fixing or reducing the radon level in your home.
- Safe Drinking Water Hotline – (800) 426-4791
For general information on drinking water, radon in water, testing and treatment and standards for radon drinking water. Operated under a contract with EPA
* Operated by Kansas State University in partnership with EPA
National Lead Information Center Hotline
- (800) 424-LEAD | (800) 424-5323
The National Lead Information Center (NLIC) provides the general public and professionals with information about lead hazards and their prevention. NLIC operates under a contract with the EPA, with funding from the EPA, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
National Pesticides Telecommunications Network
- National toll-free number – (800) 858-PEST
- In Oregon – (800) 858-7378
Operates Monday to Friday from 6:30a.m. to 4:30p.m. Pacific Time. Provides information about pesticides to the general public and the medical, veterinary, and professional communities.
Medical and government personnel may call 800-858-7377.
RCRA/SUPERFUND HotlineNational toll-free number – (800) 424-9346
In Washington, DC area – (703) 412-9810
Operates Monday to Friday from 8:30a.m. to 7:30p.m. EST. Provides information on regulations under both the Resources Conservation and Recovery Act (including solid and hazardous waste issues) and the Superfund law.
Safe Drinking Water Hotline
- (800) 426-4791
Operates Monday to Friday from 8:30a.m. to 5p.m. EST. Provides information on regulations under the Safe Drinking Water Act, lead and radon in drinking water, filter information, and a list of state drinking water offices.
TSCA Assistance Information Service
- (202) 554-1404
Operates Monday to Friday from 8:30a.m. to 5p.m. EST. Provides information on regulations under the Toxic Substances Control Act and on EPA's asbestos program