Region 2 Pollution Prevention - Programs and Initiatives
On this page:
- P2 Toxics mitigation for areas with flooding
- Pollution prevention information for flood areas
- P2 tips for various business sectors
P2 toxics mitigation for areas with flooding
The EPA Region 2 Pollution Prevention Toxics Mitigation Program was developed by EPA as a way to reach out to small manufacturing and service businesses (and the communities surrounding them) that are located in flood, storm surge, and environmental justice areas. Its aim is to provide these businesses with the guidance, resources, expertise, and tools they need so they can:
- Become more resilient in the face of severe storm events
- Reduce the potential for toxic releases to their communities
- Improve business operations, cut costs, increase profits, and enhance innovation
To assist these small manufacturing businesses, we developed guidance documents highlighting, among other areas, good housekeeping practices, environmentally preferable products, record keeping, storage, and spill preparedness:
- Best Management Practices to Mitigate Toxics and Implement a Greening Program for Small Manufacturing Businesses, a comprehensive 19-page best management practices guidance document.
- Quick Tips Guide for Small Manufacturing Businesses on Reducing Toxic Releases Related to Storm Events
- En español: Guía rápida de consejos para empresas de manufactura pequeñas para reducir escapes tóxicos relacionados con eventos lluviosos
Pollution Prevention information for flood areas
To help communities prevent hazardous materials being carried by waters from storm surge, sea level rise, or flooding, EPA and the Federal Emergency Management Agency collaborated on the information found in our guide for commercial and residential communities entitled, Making a Visible Difference in Communities: A Pollution Prevention Guide to Improving Hazardous Material Management Procedures.
P2 tips for various business sectors
We also developed P2 information in "Insights Bulletins" that highlight pollution prevention opportunities in various sectors, with stories of how actual businesses increased competitiveness and overall success.
Insights Bulletins currently available: