Project LEAF(Limiting Exposures Around Families) is a program developed by the Association of Farmworker Opportunity Programs that seeks to mitigate and increase awareness of take-home exposure risks to farmworkers and their families through a training curriculum and other educational materials. Visit the Project LEAF website.
Pesticide take-home exposure occurs when farmworkers go home bearing pesticide residues that may cling to their skin, clothing, hats, boots, tools, lunch coolers, car seats and any other items in the work environment. Their children may then be exposed to these pesticide residues.
For more information on Project LEAF, contact Ana Rivera-Lupianez (firstname.lastname@example.org), (703) 305-0871.
Project LEAF training materials are available in a bilingual, low-literacy format that offers advice on how to reduce or even eliminate the possibility of exposing children to pesticide residues.
You can get one free copy of materials by calling the National Service Center for Environmental Publications at (800) 490-9198 and providing the EPA document numbers. For more than one copy:
- contact Ana Rivera-Lupianez (email@example.com), (703) 305-0871; or
- use the versions below.
- Project LEAF fold out card - is a 2.5 inch by 2.5 inch, two sided bilingual (Spanish/English) card in color that covers the key messages of the training. The card conveniently folds to fit into wallets and pockets for quick reference. (EPA number 735F11003 Spanish/English)
- Project LEAF poster - is a 17 inch by 22 inch bilingual (Spanish/English), colored poster. The poster is Spanish on one side and English on the other. It features a large image of the Soto family and key messages for reducing pesticide exposure. It folds to fit into an 8.5 inch by 11 inch envelope for mailing. (EPA number 735H11001 Spanish/English)
- Project LEAF magnet - is a 4 inch by 6 inch, magnet in either Spanish or English. The magnet is designed to be put on a refrigerator or washing machine to reinforce key safety messages, such as, “separate worker clothes from family clothes before washing." (EPA number Spanish 735E11002 or English 735E11003)
- Project LEAF brochure - is an 8.5 inch by 11 inch, brochure in either Spanish or English. Includes key messages of the LEAF training and features a box next to key messages for checking off when the activity has become part of the household routine. (EPA number Spanish 735F11001 or English 735F11002)
Project LEAF CD radio programs - is a CD with 5 one-minute messages in Spanish. The radio public service announcements feature the Soto family discussing how they plan to reduce pesticide exposure in their home and workplace. (EPA number: Spanish 735C11001)