The Safer Affordable Fuel Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Proposed Rule for Model Years 2021-2026
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) propose to amend certain existing Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and greenhouse gas emissions standards for passenger cars and light trucks and establish new standards, covering model years 2021 through 2026.
Public Comments: Please submit comments at www.regulations.gov to Docket EPA-HQ-OAR-2018-0283 on or before October 23 , 2018. Information on additional methods for submitting formal comments is available at https://www.epa.gov/dockets/where-send-comments-epa-dockets.
Public Hearings: NHTSA and EPA will jointly hold three public hearings on the dates and at the locations listed below. The hearings will start at 10 a.m. local time and continue until 5:00 p.m. or until everyone has had a chance to speak. If you would like to present oral testimony at one of these public hearings, please contact Kil-Jae Hong (firstname.lastname@example.org) at NHTSA at least ten days before the hearing. Additional information regarding the hearings is provided in the Federal Register notice for the hearings below.
The Grand 1401
1401 Fulton Street
Fresno, California 93721
20301 Oakwood Boulevard
Dearborn, Michigan 48124
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
One Bigelow Square
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219
Hearing Federal Register notice: The Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Rule for Model Years 2021-2026 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks, Announcement of public hearings (PDF) (2 pp, 197 K, published August 24, 2018)
- Proposed Rule: The Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Rule for Model Years 2021-2026 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks (PDF) (515 pp, 15.7 MB, published August 24, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: MYs 2021-2026 CAFE Proposal - By the Numbers (PDF) (1 pg, 160 K, EPA-420-F-18-901, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: NHTSA and EPA Proposed SAFE Vehicle Rule: Overview of the Alternatives Analyzed (PDF) (4 pp, 93 K, EPA-420-F-18-902, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: Proposed California Waiver Withdrawal (PDF) (2 pp, 105 K, EPA-420-F-18-903, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: NHTSA and EPA Proposed SAFE Vehicle Rule: Overview (PDF) (2 pp, 149 K, EPA-420-F-18-904, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: MYs 2021-2026 SAFE Vehicles Rule Proposal: Compliance Flexibilities (PDF) (2 pp, 122 K, EPA-420-F-18-905, August 2, 2018)
- For additional information regarding this proposal including the Preliminary Regulatory Impact Analysis and modeling analysis, please see https://www.nhtsa.gov/corporate-average-fuel-economy/safe.