The Safer and Affordable Fuel Efficient Vehicles Proposed Rule for Model Years 2021-2026
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) propose to amend certain existing Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and greenhouse gas emissions standards for passenger cars and light trucks and establish new standards, covering model years 2021 through 2026.
Public Comments: Please submit comments at www.regulations.gov to Docket EPA-HQ-OAR-2018-0283. Information on additional methods for submitting formal comments is available at https://www.epa.gov/dockets/where-send-comments-epa-dockets.
Public Hearings: NHTSA and EPA will jointly hold three public hearings on this proposal in Washington, D.C.; in the Detroit, MI area; and in the Los Angeles, CA area. The agencies will announce the dates and locations of the hearings in a supplemental Federal Register notice.
- Proposed Rule: The Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Rule for Model Years 2021-2026 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks (PDF) (978 pp, 12 MB, pre-publication, signed August 1, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: MYs 2021-2026 CAFE Proposal - By the Numbers (PDF) (1 pg, 374 K, EPA-420-F-18-901, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: NHTSA and EPA Proposed SAFE Vehicle Rule: Overview of the Alternatives Analyzed (PDF) (4 pp, 405 K, EPA-420-F-18-902, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: Proposed California Waiver Withdrawal (PDF) (2 pp, 387 K, EPA-420-F-18-903, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: NHTSA and EPA Proposed SAFE Vehicle Rule: Overview (PDF) (2 pp, 431 K, EPA-420-F-18-904, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: MYs 2021-2026 SAFE Vehicles Rule Proposal: Compliance Flexibilities (PDF) (2 pp, 418 K, EPA-420-F-18-905, August 2, 2018)
- For additional information regarding this proposal including the Preliminary Regulatory Impact Analysis and modeling analysis, please see https://www.nhtsa.gov/corporate-average-fuel-economy/safe.