SmartWay Sustainability Accounting and Reporting
Many companies monitor their fuel consumption and emissions and establish inventories or overall environmental footprint to help decision makers identify the best strategies for improving sustainability.
Most companies focus on reporting activities that are under their direct control, (e.g., their manufacturing operations) and from direct energy production or purchases.
While direct emissions may contribute to a large part of a company’s footprint, indirect emissions from sources upstream and downstream in the supply chain often represent a very significant, possibly greater, part of a company’s total footprint.
These indirect emissions consist of a broad range of activities, including freight transportation activities.
Companies often find it difficult to acquire the data needed to report their emissions from freight transportation.
However, SmartWay Partners have direct access to high-quality freight-related emissions data that non-SmartWay Partners don’t.
- Generates emissions data (CO2, NOx, and PM) with scientifically-based methods using EPA emission factors, and provides consistent and comparable metrics for freight emissions across all industry sectors;
- Encourages shippers to collaborate with their freight carriers and establish shared efficiency goals; and
- Actively works with several large, global sustainability reporting protocol organizations to integrate SmartWay emissions data directly into their guidelines and standards.
To start unlocking the power of SmartWay data for sustainability reporting:
- Contact your Partner Account Manager for a strategy consultation
- Visit the SmartWay Portal for more resources
Not a SmartWay Partner? Joining SmartWay can help you simplify your corporate sustainability reporting with EPA-backed data tracking tools and resources.