Infrastructure Task Force Tribal Solid Waste Management
These documents provide information on 1) barriers and strategies to developing and implementing sustainable waste management programs on tribal lands; 2) issues to consider when planning and designing community engagement approaches for tribal integrated waste management programs; 3) a proposed approach to improve open dumps data and solid waste projects and programs in Indian country; and 4) a Memorandum of Understanding between the EPA and IHS to improve open dump data for solid waste projects in Indian country. The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to Improve Open Dump, Solid Waste Projects and Programs in Indian County identified core components that should be present to ensure the effectiveness and sustainability of an tribal waste management program.
On this page:
- Overcoming Barriers to Sustainable Waste Management in Tribal Communities (PDF) (52 pp, 2 MB, August 2019)
Barriers and Strategies in Developing and Implementing Sustainable Tribal Waste Management Programs
- Strategies for Building and Implementing Sustainable Tribal Waste Management Programs factsheet (PDF) (6 pp, 3 MB, February 2021)
The strategies included in this document can assist tribal communities with overcoming barriers in developing and implementing a sustainable waste management program.
- Tribal Solid Waste Community Engagement Strategy (PDF) (32 pp, 1 MB, February 2017)
Issues to Consider When Planning and Designing Community Engagement Approaches for Tribal Integrated Waste Management Programs
- Tribal Solid Waste - Improving Open Dump Data (PDF) (14 pp, 750 K, May 2016)
Proposed Approach to Improve Open Dumps Data and Solid Waste Projects and Programs in Indian Country - Working Paper
- EPA Tribal Waste Assessment Form (PDF)(5 pp, 242 K, February 2021)
This form will provide the basis for EPA’s evaluation of a tribe’s waste management program capacity and eligibility for Indian Health Service (IHS) open dump closure assistance.