Vapor Intrusion Resources
On this page you will find EPA Technical Documents, Tools and Other Resources to Support Vapor Intrusion Assessment and Mitigation Activities
- Background Indoor Air Concentrations of Volatile Organic Compounds in North American Residences (1990 – 2005): A Compilation of Statistics for Assessing Vapor Intrusion
- EPA's Vapor Intrusion Database: Evaluation and Characterization of Attenuation Factors for Chlorinated Volatile Organic Compounds and Residential Buildings
- Conceptual Model Scenarios for the Vapor Intrusion Pathway
- Indoor Air Vapor Intrusion Mitigation Approaches
- Petroleum Hydrocarbons And Chlorinated Hydrocarbons Differ In Their Potential For Vapor Intrusion
- EPA Spreadsheet for Modeling Subsurface Vapor Intrusion — This spreadsheet tool implements the steady-state solution to vapor transport (infinite or non-diminishing source and steady-state vapor concentrations) described by Johnson and Ettinger in 1991.
- Vapor Intrusion Database — Contains site-specific measurements of vapor attenuation factors, which express the reduction in vapor concentrations as volatile contaminants move from sub-surface sources into indoor air.
Brownfields Technology Primer: Vapor Intrusion Considerations for Redevelopment (PDF) (49 pp, 1.2MB, About PDF)
The Brownfields and Land Revitalization Technology Support Center has developed this primer for land revitalization stakeholders concerned about vapor intrusion, including property owners, municipalities, and real estate developers. This document provides an overview of vapor intrusion and how it can affect redevelopment. It also summarizes techniques for quickly and cost effectively assessing the potential for vapor intrusion, which can be implemented in consultation with qualified scientists and engineers.
- Underground Storage Tanks: Petroleum Vapor Intrusion
- Research and Development
- Interstate Technology & Regulatory Website
- Characterization and Monitoring Research
- Temporal Variation of VOCs in Soils from Groundwater to the Surface/Subslab - APM 349 (PDF) (143 pp, 8.6MB, About PDF)
- Vertical Distribution of VOCs in Soils from Groundwater to the Surface/Subslab (PDF) (326 pp, 18MB, About PDF)
- Final Project Report for the Development of An Active Soil Gas Sampling Method (PDF) (178 pp, 11MB, About PDF)