Our divers occasionally contribute to non-EPA publications to help share expertise with others in the scientific diving community. Below are some examples. Please do not reprint without permission.
- Colarusso P.D., E.P. Nelson, S. Ayvazian, M.R. Carman, M. Chintala, S. Grabbert, D. Grunden. Quantifying the ecological impact of invasive tunicates to shallow coastal water systems (PDF)(10 pp, 1.6 MB). Management of Biological Invasions (2016) 7:33–42.
- Carman M.R., P.D. Colarusso, E.P. Nelson, D.W. Grunden, M.C. Wong, C. McKenzie, K. Matheson, J. Davidson, S. Fox, H.A. Neckles, H. Bayley, S. Schott, J.A. Dijkstra, S. Stewart-Clark. Distribution and diversity of tunicates utilizing eelgrass as substrate in the western North Atlantic between 39° and 47° north latitude (New Jersey to Newfoundland) (PDF)(7 pp, 292 K) Management of Biological Invasions (2016) 7: 51–57.
- Humphrey A.M., Sheldrake S.A., Overview of US Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) Scientific Diving Operations Using Equilibrium Passive Sampling Devices (PDF)(189 pp, 4 MB), Diving for Science 2016, Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 35th Symposium, 1 pp.
- Getting Dirty. Staying Safe. Hazmat Diving., ADCI July/August 2015.
- Scuba Jobs: EPA Scientific Diving - Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) Blog, July 2014.
- Fisher, W.S., Fore, L.S., Oliver, L.M. et al. Regional status assessment of stony corals in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Environ Monit Assess (2014) 186: 7165.
- Sheldrake S.A., Humphrey A.M., editors for Chapter 16 "Polluted Water Diving" of the 5th edition, NOAA Diving Manual, 2013 Rev5:1-22.
- Santavy, D.L., Courtney, L.A., Fisher, W.S. et al. Estimating surface area of sponges and gorgonians as indicators of habitat availability on Caribbean coral reefs. Hydrobiologia (2013) 707: 1.
- Sheldrake, Pedersen, Humphrey et. al. Environmental Response Team Standard Operating Procedures for Contaminated Water Diving Operations; Viking Drysuit Decomtamination Study; Comparative Analysis of Federal Program Polluted Water Protocols. Proceedings of the Joint International Scientific Diving Symposium, October 2013 (PDF)(353 pp, 3.8 MB).
- EPA Contaminated Water Diving - Underwater Magazine, July/August 2012.
- Standard Decontamination Procedures (PDF) (62 pp, 1.6MB) - PSDiver Monthly, July 2012.
- Assessing Water Quality - Online Dive Planning Tools - Alert Diver Online, February 2012.
- Principe P, Bradley P, Yee S, Fisher W, Johnson E, Allen P and Campbell D. Quantifying Coral Reef Ecosystem Services (PDF)(158 pp, 6.8 MB). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Research Triangle Park, NC. EPA/600/R‐11/206, January 2012, 147 pp.
- Santavy DL, Fisher WS, Campbell JG, and Quarles RL. Field Manual for Coral Reef Assessments (PDF)(92 pp, 11 MB). EPA /600/R‐12/029, Office of Research and Development, Gulf Breeze FL, 80pp.
- Sheldrake S, N Pollock. Alcohol and Diving (PDF)(10 pp, 931 K). In: Steller D, Lobel L, eds. Diving for Science 2012. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 31st Symposium. Dauphin Island, AL: AAUS; 2012, 10 pp.
- Public Safety Diver: EPA Polluted Water Diving Part 3 (PDF) (41 pp, 2.3MB) - PSDiver Monthly, February 2011.
- Public Safety Diver: EPA Polluted Water Diving Part 2 (PDF) (50 pp, 2.3MB) - PSDiver Monthly, January 2011.
- Oliver, L.M., J.C. Lehrter, and W.S. Fisher 2011. Relating coral reef condition to human activity in the watersheds of St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands (PDF)(10 pp, 837 K). Marine Ecology Progress Series 427:293‐302.
- Santavy, D.L., E.M. Mueller, L. MacLaughlin, E.C. Peters, R.L. Quarles and M.G. Barron 2011. Resilience of Florida Keys coral communities following large‐scale distrubances. Diversity 4:628‐640.
- Yee, S.H., D.L. Santavy and M.G. Barron 2011. Assessing the effects of disease and bleaching on Florida Keys corals by fitting population models to data. Ecological Modelling 222:1323‐1332.
- Yee, S.H., D.L. Santavy, J.W. Kern and S. Hession 2011. Consideration of species community composition in statistical analyses of coral disease risk. Marine Ecology Progress Series 431:83‐96.
- Yee, S.H., D.L. Santavy and M.G. Barron 2011. Comparing environmental influences on coral bleaching across and within species using clustered binomial regression. Ecological Modelling 218:162‐174.
- Sheldrake SA, Pedersen ER, Schulze C, Donohue S, Humphrey AM. Use of Tethered Scuba for Scientific Diving (PDF)(14 pp, 618 K). In: Pollock NW, ed. Diving for Science 2011. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 30th Symposium. Dauphin Island, AL: AAUS; 2011, 14 pp.
- Humphrey A., Grossman S., McBurney J., Sheldrake S. Use of Surface Supplied Gas for Scientific Diving (PDF)(16 pp, 2.8 MB). In: Pollock NW, ed. Diving for Science 2011. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 30th Symposium. Dauphin Island, AL: AAUS; 2011, 16 pp.
- Kelley M.A, A. Gillespie, G.D. Zhou, S. Zhang, J.P. Meador, P.B. Duncan, K.C. Donnelly, T.J. McDonald, 2011. In situ biomonitoring of caged, juvenile Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) in the Lower Duwamish Waterway. Marine Pollution Bulletin 62:2520-2532, 13 pp.
- Public Safety Diver: EPA Polluted Water Diving Part 1 (PDF) (48 pp, 2.3MB). PSDiver Monthly, December 2010.
- Fisher, W.S., A.L. Hutchins, L.S. Fore, W.S. Davis C. LoBue and H. Bell 2009. Water quality standards for coral reef protection. 11th International Coral Reef Symposium. Session 23, pp. 1103‐1107.
- Sheldrake, Sean A, "Divers, How clean is your air?", AAUS Monthly E-Slate. 2 pp.
- Sheldrake S., D. Davoli, M. Poulsen, P. B. Duncan, E. R. Pedersen, 2009, Diver Exposure Scenario for the Portland Harbor Risk Assessment (PDF)(12 pp, 244 K). Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 28th Symposium, pp. 7-13.
- Fore L.S, Karr, J.R., Fisher, W.S., Bradley, P., Davis, W.S., 2009. Heeding a call to action of U.S. coral reefs: The untapped potential of the Clean Water Act. Marine Pollution Bulletin 58:1421-1423.
- Fisher, W.S., L.S. Fore, A. Hutchins, R.L. Quarles, J.G. Campbell, C. LoBue and W.S. Davis 2008. Evaluation of stony coral indicators for coral reef management. Marine Pollution Bulletin 56:1737‐1745.
- Bradley, P., W. Fisher, H. Bell, W. Davis, V. Chan, C. LoBue and W. Wiltse 2008. Development and implementation of coral reef biocriteria in U.S. jurisdictions. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 150(1‐4):43‐51
- Barbee G.C., J. Barich, B. Duncan, J.W. Bickham, C.W. Matson, C.J. Hintze, R.L. Autenrieth, G-D Zhou, T.J. McDonald, L. Cizmas, D. Norton and K.C. Donnelly. 2008. In situ biomonitoring of PAH-contaminated sediments using juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 71(2):454-64.
- Siwiec T., S. Sheldrake, A. Hess, D. Thompson, L. Macchio, P. B. Duncan. 2008. Survey Technique for Underwater Digital Photography with Integrated GPS Location Data (PDF)(8 pp, 2 MB). Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 27th Symposium, pp. 159-166.
- Fisher, W. S., W. P. Davis, R. L. Quarles, J. Patrick, J. G. Campbell, P. S. Harris, B. L. Hemmer and M. Parsons 2007. Characterizing coral condition using estimates of three dimensional colony surface area. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 125:347‐360.
- Courtney, L. A., W. S. Fisher, S. Raimondo, L. M. Oliver and W. P. Davis 2007. Estimating three‐dimensional colony surface area of field corals, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 351:234–242.
- Fisher WS. Stony Coral Rapid Bioassessment Protocol. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, EPA/600/R‐06/167, Washington, D.C. 60 pp.
- Fore LS, Fisher WS and Davis WS. Bioassessment Tools for Stony Corals: Statistical Evaluation of Candidate Metrics in the Florida Keys. U.S. EPA, Office of Environmental Information, EPA‐260‐R‐06‐002, 33 pp.
- Fore LS, Fisher WS and Davis WS. Bioassessment Tools for Stony Corals: Monitoring Approaches and Proposed Sampling Plan for the U.S. Virgin Islands. U.S. EPA, Office of Environmental Information EPA‐260‐R‐06‐003, 24 pp.
- Fore LS, Fisher WS and Davis WS. Bioassessment Tools for Stony Corals: Field Testing of Monitoring Protocols in the US Virgin Islands (St. Croix). U.S. EPA, Office of Environmental Information EPA‐260‐R‐06‐004, 46 pp.
- Duncan P.B., R. Henry, E.R. Pedersen, S. Sheldrake, D. Thompson, 2007. Adaptation of Groundwater Evaluation and Sampling Tools for Underwater Deployment (PDF)(29 pp, 3.9 MB). Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 25th Symposium pp. 55-83.
- Su, H., Karna, D., et. al., Evaluation of Eelgrass Mapping Using an Airborne High Resolution Multi-spectral Scanner, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, pp 789-797.
- Wekell, J.C., R.M. Lorenzana, M. Hogan, and H. Barnett. J., 1996. Survey of paralytic shellfish poison and domoic acid in Puget Sound predatory gastropods. Journal of Shellfish Research. 15(2): 231-236.
- Duncan, P.B. and D.W. Karna. Eelgrass surveys in Eagle Harbor, WA, following capping of adjacent contaminated sediments (PDF)(5 pp, 1.5 MB). Proceedings of the American Academy Underwater Sciences, Scientific Diving Symposium, 1996, pp. 107-111.
- Salzar, M.H., Duncan, P.B., Salazar, S.M., and K.A. Rose. 1995. In-situ bioassays using transplanted mussels: II. Assessing Contaminated sediment at a Superfund site in Puget Sound. Environmental Toxicology and Risk Assessment Third Volume, ASTM STP 1218, J.S. Hughes, G.R. Biddinger, and E. Mones, Eds., Amer. Soc. Test. Materials, Philadelphia, 22 pp.
- Seavey, F. and G. Ging. 1995. Marine resources of the Elwha River Estuary (PDF)(47 pp, 3.5 MB), Clallam County, Washington. Rep. for National Park Service, prepared by U.S. Fish Wildlife Ser., W. WA Office, N. Pac. Cst. Ecoregion, 47 pp.
- Miller, S., Miller, B., Jensen, G., and B. Hill, 1994. Development of a SCUBA-based protocol for the rapid evaluation of benthic degradation due to organic accumulation in the nearshore soft-bottom habitat of Puget Sound (PDF)(93 pp, 5.5 MB). University of Washington Fisheries Research Institute. FRI-US-9406, 91 pp.
1990 and Older
- EPA Divers: Getting Down to the Nitty Gritty - June 1988
- New equipment makes diving safer in polluted waters - May-June 1986
- Safe Diving In Contaminated Water - January 1986
- Interim Protocol for Diving Operations in Contaminated Water, EPA/600/2-85/130 - November 1985
- Safe Diving in Polluted Waters - March 1985
- Traver et. al., HazMat Underwater Recovery Demonstration - August 27-31, 1984
- Chemical Tank Testing of Modified Commercial Diving Helmets and Dress - March 1984