Each state has an approved program for ensuring technical, managerial, and financial (TMF) capacity in public water systems. The documents and tools below contain information helpful to state program management.
- Assessing Water System Managerial Capacity (816-K-12-004)
This document was developed to provide ideas on assessing managerial capacity for those involved in the Capacity Development Program, including EPA Headquarters staff, EPA Regional staff and state staff. In addition, this document may be informative to the staff of other programs (e.g., Drinking Water State Revolving Fund) who help public water systems (PWSs) attain and maintain technical, managerial and financial (TMF) capacity.
- State Programs to Ensure Demonstration of Technical, Managerial and Financial Capacity of New Water Systems (816-R-01-018)
This document summarizes each State s response to this provision of the SDWA.
- Handbook for Capacity Development: Developing Water System Capacity under the Safe Drinking Water Act, as amended in 1996 (816-R-99-012)
A handbook regarding capacity development and developing water system capacity under the Safe Drinking Water Act.
- Guidance on Implementing the Capacity Development Provisions of the 1996 SDWA Amendments (816-R-98-006)
This guidance is the result of a thorough stakeholder consultation process initiated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and its National Drinking Water Advisory Council (NDWAC).
- Re-Energizing the Capacity Development Program: Findings & Best Practices from the Capacity Development Re-Energizing Workgroup (816-R-11-004)
The findings and best practices from the Capacity Development Re-Energizing Workgroup
- Public Water System Historical Significant Non-Compliers: National Trends Report (816-R-10-015)
Provides information on Public Water Systems that are Historical Significant Non-Compliers and provides informaiton on the National Trends
- National Capacity Development Strategic Plan (816-K-07-003)
This plan provides a roadmap identifying how EPA s National Capacity Development Program will support the Office of Water s strategic goal to improve PWS performance.
- Multiple Barrier Approach to Public Health Protection (816-K-06-005)
A brochure describing the Multiple Barrier Approach to Public Health Protection.
Update to the Implementation of Capacity Development & Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Programs to Reflect the New Enforcement Policy and Enforcement Targeting Tool (PDF)(862 pp, 883 K,
Memoradum from the director of the Office of Ground Water Drinking Water to EPA Regional Water Division Directors to provide updated policy on how EPA and the states will implement the Capacity Development and Drinking Water State Revolving Fund programs to reflect the new Enforcement Response Policy and the Enforcement Targeting Tool.
Reporting Criteria for Annual State Capacity Development Program Implementation Reports (PDF)(5 pp, 2 MB,
A memorandum regarding reporting criteria for Annual State Capacity Development Program implementation.
State Asset Management Initiatives (PDF)(15 pp, 546 K)
This document summarizes the initiatives states are taking in regard to asset management.
National Characteristics of Drinking Water Systems Serving 10,000 or Fewer People (PDF)(104 pp, 6 MB,
Characteristics of small drinking water systems serving 10,000 or fewer people and how these characteristics may impact their short-term and long-term sustainability.