Stage 1 and Stage 2 Compliance Help for Community Water System Owners and Operators
- Complying with the Stage 1 Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rule
- Operational Evaluation Guidance Manual
- Simultaneous Compliance Guidance Manual for LT2 and Stage 2 Rules
- Simultaneous Compliance Workbook
- Consecutive Systems Guidance Manual for the Stage 2 DBPR
- Complying with the Stage 2 Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rule
- Quick Reference Guides
The Stage 1 DBPR applies to PWSs that add a chemical disinfectant. EPA has developed three documents to address the requirements of the Stage 1 DBPR:
The Basic Guide – for CWSs and NTNCWSs that add a chemical disinfectant and serve fewer than 10,000 persons.
- Complying With the Stage 1 Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rule: Basic Guide (PDF)(76 pp, 241 K, About PDF) EPA 816-B-05-004
Supplement A – for CWSs, NTNCWSs, and transient non-community water systems (TNCWSs) that use chlorine dioxide and CWSs and NTNCWSs that use ozone.
Supplement B – for Subpart H CWSs and NTNCWSs that add a chemical disinfectant and use conventional filtration.
This manual assists PWS in meeting requirements for operational evaluations under the Stage 2 DBPR. The manual provides guidance for documenting and reporting an operational evaluation level (OEL) exceedance.
- Stage 2 Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rule Operational Evaluation Guidance Manual (PDF)(180 pp, 10 MB, About PDF) EPA 815-R-08-018, Decmeber 2008
This manual discusses issues that PWSs will face as they evaluate and implement rules simultaneously. It discusses changes necessary to comply with the Stage 2 DBPR and the Long Term 2 Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule (LT2ESWTR). It also covers how to maintain compliance with earlier rules such as the Total Coliform Rule and Lead and Copper Rule.
EPA has developed this guidance manual to provide PWSs and states with information on operational and capital changes and approaches to enable PWSs to evaluate different compliance strategies and technologies.
- Simultaneous Compliance Guidance Manual for LT2 and Stage 2 Rules (PDF)(462 pp, 3 MB, About PDF) EPA 815-R-07-017, May 2007
The Simultaneous Compliance Workbook has been developed to compliment the Simultaneous Compliance Guidance Manual for the Long Term 2 and Stage 2 DBP Rules. The workbook provides technical information for water systems and states when considering changes in treatment and how those changes may impact compliance with other Safe Drinking Water Act regulations.
This manual discusses requirements for consecutive systems to comply with Stage 2 DBPR monitoring and maximum contaminant level (MCL) requirements. Consecutive systems are PWSs that receive treated water from other PWSs. Most previous drinking water rules have not specifically addressed requirements for consecutive systems to comply with.
- Stage 2 Consecutive Systems Guidance Manual (PDF)(73 pp, 1 MB, About PDF) EPA 815-R-09-017, March 2010
Complying with the Stage 2 Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rule: Small Entity Compliance Guide
This manual contains an introduction for the Stage 2 DBPR. It describes the requirements of the Rule that apply to small systems (serving fewer than 10,000 people). It also provides step-by-step guidance on how to comply with Stage 2 DBPR requirements.
- Complying with the Stage 2 Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rule: Small Entity Compliance Guide (PDF)(57 pp, 513 K, About PDF) EPA 815-R-07-014, February 2007
Additional quick reference materials (e.g., Stage 1 and Stage 2 Comprehensive Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rules Laboratory Quick Reference Guide).
For more information, please see the Stage 1 & Stage 2 Disinfectants And Disinfection Byproducts Rules page.