The EMC's Guideline Documents are developed to clarify undefined technical areas of methods and performance specifications, to set policy for the methods and monitoring where the method does not address the particular application necessarily, and to describe alternatives to sampling procedures within the methods or performance specifications. Some of the guidance may result in changes to the methods or performance specifications.
Most of the guidance documents are PDFs, except where indicated. You will need Adobe Reader to view the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
The following PDFs may not be completely formatted for screen readers or other assistive technology. Please contact us for assitance.
- GD 1 - Effect of Silica Gel on CO2 Measurements (PDF) May 1988
- GD 2 - Standard Specification for Fuel Oil (PDF) October 1988
- GD 3 - Nozzle Orifice Setting Isokinetic Rate (PDF) November 1988
- GD 6 - Type-S Pitot Tubes for Low Flow Rates Flow (PDF) January 1995
- GD 8 - Particulate Matter Sampling in Cyclonic Flow (PDF) October 1989
- GD 15 - List of Validated Test Methods (PDF) June 1991
- GD 16 - F Factors for "Orimulsion" (PDF) September 1991 - This document is no longer needed and has been removed.
- GD 17 - "Normal Load" for Performance Specification 2 (PDF) April 2020
- GD 21 - Traverse Point Number and Location for Method 1 (PDF)
- GD 22 - Minor/Major Modifications/Alternative Testing (PDF) April 2014
- GD 24 - Type K Thermocouple Calibration for Stack Applications (PDF) August 1993
- GD 25 - Stratification of Emissions for CEM Locations (PDF) June 1994
- GD 31 - Evaluation Procedure for Multi-Hole Sample Probes (PDF) March 1995
- GD 32 - Lapse in Method 303 Observer Certification (PDF)
- GD 33 - EPA's VOC Test Methods 25 and 25A (PDF) April 1995
- GD 34 - EMTIC Workshop Background Paper for Methods 26 and 26A (PDF) September 1994
- GD 35 - Capture Efficiency Testing Guidance (PDF) January 1995
- GD 36 - Revised Capture Efficiency Memorandum (PDF) February 1995
- GD 37 - Sulfur Dioxide interference in Methods 7 and 7A (PDF) October 1988
- GD 38 - In-Stack Detection Limit Description (PDF) June 1992
- GD 39 - Alternative for Analyzing Calibration Gas Cylinders (PDF) February 1997 - This document is no longer needed and has been removed.
- GD 41 - Decorative & Hard Chrome Electroplating and Anodizing Comment on Method 306A Section 319 (PDF) August 1997
- GD 42 - Preparation and Review of Site Specific Test Plans (PDF) Revised March 1999
- GD 43 - Preparation and Review of Emission Test Reports (PDF) December 1998
- GD 44 - Portable Analyzers for Gaseous Fugitive Emissions (ZIP - WordPerfect Format) May 1998
- GD 45 - Environmental Monitoring Management Council (EMMC) Methods Format(PDF) April 2001
- GD 48 - Calculation of CEMS Relative Accuracy (RA) When Used to Measure Control Device Efficiency (PDF) November 2005
- GD 49 - Measuring VOC Mass Emissions from Corn Wet-Milling (PDF) November 2006
- GD 50 - Clean Air Act National Stack Testing Guidance (PDF) April 2009
- GD 51 and GD 51 a-f Boiler and Process Heater Test Procedures, Methods, and Reporting Requirements June 2009 - These documents are no longer needed and have been removed.
- GD-52: Optical and Remote Sensing for Measurement and Monitoring of Emissions Flux of Gases and Particulate Matter (PDF)(346 pp, 9 MB, September 1, 2018)
GD-53 - Policy Memo on Overlapping or Staggered Test Runs.pdf (PDF)(3 pp, 642 K,
March 22, 2018)
Policy Memo on Overlapping or Staggered Test Runs