The document consists of two major parts.
Part I presents:
- the background and overview of bioremediation options, which include the characteristics of coastal wetlands,
- oil spill threats and countermeasures in salt marshes, and
- relevant state-of-the-art research.
Part II provides guidelines for design and planning of oil bioremediation in salt marshes, which includes:
- site characterization and evaluation,
- the selection of appropriate bioremediation technologies, and
- the design of sampling and monitoring programs.