TAV Holdings, Inc. RCRA Order in GA
RCRA SECTION 7003 ORDER TAV HOLDINGS, INC
On January 10, 2022, EPA Region 4 issued an Order pursuant to Section 7003(a) of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act for the facility located at 3311 Empire Boulevard, SW, Atlanta, Georgia, operated by TAV Holdings, Inc. (TAV) to take immediate steps to prevent further releases into the environment as necessary to protect human health and the environment.
Since 2015, TAV has conducted a processing operation on approximately 37 acres where it receives various solid wastes, such as automobile shredder residue, aluminum shredder residue, waste electrical and electronic equipment, and incinerator ash and attempts to recover various metals from such materials.
During inspections and site visits, EPA and the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (GAEPD) observed significant concerns related to TAV’s operations, including its management of waste materials, process water, stormwater, and wastewater. Wastewater with sediment was observed to be running off-site and emptying into the unnamed tributary of the South River. Inspectors also observed large waste piles at the facility, all of which lacked containment and/or other measures to prevent releases of waste material directly to the environment. EPA has determined that TAV’s operation and management of waste materials has resulted in releases of solid and hazardous waste into the environment which may present an imminent and substantial endangerment to human health and the environment.
- March 15, 2022 U.S. EPA Region 4 TAV Holdings, Inc. Virtual Public Meeting
- EPA Response to Specific Submissions and Notice of Noncompliance TAV Holdings, Inc. - February 2022 (pdf)
- March 2022 TAV Holdings, Inc. RCRA Section 7003 Order Fact Sheet (pdf)
- EPA RCRA Emergency Unilateral Administrative Order to TAV Holdings, Inc. (pdf)
- January 2022 TAV Holdings, Inc. RCRA Section 7003 Order Fact Sheet (pdf)
- January 10, 2022 Press Release
Angela Miller, EPA Community Involvement Coordinator