Federal Register Notices Related to SW-846
Each time SW-846 is officially updated, the new and revised information is released to the public for comment before publication. Below you can find the Federal Register notices for proposed updates along with the notices for the finalized updates. Federal Register notices are also included for the Methods Innovation Rule (MIR). For a tabular history of each method over time with the approval of each update, see the SW-846 Methods Status Table.
On this page:
- Modernizing Ignitable Liquids Determinations Rule
- Streamlined Procedure for Publishing Non-Regulatory SW-846 Methods
- Update V
- Update IV
- Methods Innovation Rule (MIR)
- Update III
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Waste Sampling Draft Technical Guidance
- Update II
- Third Edition Basic Manual and Update I
Modernizing Ignitable Liquids Determinations Rule
This action proposes substantial updates to SW-846 Methods 1010A and 1020B and proposes minor updates to SW-846 Methods 0010, 0011, 0020, 0023A, and 0051.
- Ignitability Rule Proposal– April 2, 2019
Streamlined Procedure for Publishing Non-Regulatory SW-846 Methods
This action announced a streamlined approval process for non-regulatory SW-846 methods. Non-regulatory methods are announced for public comment and for final posting on the EPA Hazardous Waste Test Methods web page, rather than through the Federal Register.
- Announcement of Streamlined Process – September 27, 2016
This action added eight new and 15 revised methods for inclusion in SW-846. The Agency also finalized revisions to Chapters One through Five of SW-846 and adds the EPA Policy Statement to SW-846.
- Update V Final Notice of Availability – August 13, 2015
- Update V Notice of Availability – October 23, 2013
This action added 24 revised analytical methods and seven revised chapters to SW-846. Chapter 11 of SW-846, which was out of date and no longer relevant, was removed from the compendium.
- Updates IVA and IVB Final Notice of Availability – January 3, 2008
- Update IVB Draft Notice of Availability – November 27, 2000
- Update IVA Draft Notice of Availability – May 8, 1998
Methods Innovation Rule (MIR)
The MIR is an important step toward a performance-based measurement system, and part of the Agency's efforts toward "Innovating for Better Results." In general, the MIR allows more flexibility when conducting Resource Conservation and Recovery Act-related sampling and analysis. For more information, see the Methods Innovation Rule Web page.
- MIR Correction Notice – August 1, 2005
- MIR Final Rule – June 14, 2005
- MIR Extension of Public Comment Period – January 16, 2003
- MIR Proposed Rule – October 30, 2002
Update IIIA approved EPA Method 1664, Revision A. The action also removed Method 9070 and added revised Method 9071B.
Update IIIB added 11 revised methods to SW-846 and updated Chapter Seven. It also removed the cyanide and sulfide reactivity guidance from SW-846 Chapter Seven and removed required uses of reactive cyanide and sulfide methods. Additionally, this action clarified the use of SW-846 methods for the corrosivity and ignitability characteristics.
- Update IIIB Final Rule – June 14, 2005
- Update IIIB Extension of Public Comment Period – January 16, 2003
- Update IIIB Proposed Rule – October 30, 2002
- Update IIIA Final Rule – May 14, 1999
- Update III Final Rule – June 13, 1997
- Update III Proposed Rule – July 25, 1995
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Waste Sampling Draft Technical Guidance
This sampling guidance was proposed as a replacement for the current sampling guidance in Chapter Nine of SW-846. The Agency received public comments, which are still under review and consideration.
- Proposed Rule – October 30, 2002
Update IIA added Method 4010 to SW-846.
Update II added 62 new and revised methods to SW-846, updated the Abstract and Table of Contents, and updated Chapters Two, Three, and Four. This action also amended Chapter Seven of SW-846 by removing the statement that Method 9095 may be used to determine free liquid.
Update IIB added revised methods 9040B and 9045C, clarifying language regarding the appropriate temperature for pH measurements for highly alkaline materials.
- Update IIB Final Rule – April 4, 1995
- Update II Final Rule – January 13, 1995
- Update IIA Final Rule – January 4, 1994
- Updates II and IIB Proposed Rule – August 31, 1993
- Update IIA Proposed Rule – April 27, 1993
Third Edition Basic Manual and Update I
This action replaced the Second Edition of SW-846 with the Third Edition of SW-846, which included significant revisions of the entire compendium.