Streamlined Procedure for Publishing Non-Regulatory SW-846 Methods
On this page:
Summary of the New Process
EPA announced a streamlined approval process for non-regulatory SW-846 methods in the Federal Register on September 27, 2016. Beginning in late October, 2016, non-regulatory methods will be announced for public comment and for final posting on the EPA Hazardous Waste Test Methods web page, rather than through the Federal Register. This new procedure allows for expedited method release, while still incorporating comments from the scientific community. The process for updating SW-846 analytical methods that are required in the RCRA regulations (method defined parameters) will not change, and will still use the Federal Register.
Steps for Publication of Methods
- Obtain Agency organic and/or inorganic workgroup approval of new and/or revised methods. These Agency workgroups consist of EPA scientists from the Regions and program offices.
- Post methods on the “Validated Methods” web page and link to the Hazardous Waste Test Methods landing page.
- Notify the SW-846 analytical community via emails and web posting of the comment-period initiation date. The comment period will be set for a minimum of 30 days, depending on the number and complexity of methods.
- Catalog and respond to public comments in a “Response to Comments” document.
- Revise methods based on EPA’s review of comments.
- Post the new and/or revised methods, the “Response to Comments” background document(s), and other supporting documents permanently on the “SW-846 Compendium” web page.
- Email the SW-846 mailing list, notifying all entities of the incorporation of the new additions to the SW-846 compendium.
Sign Up for the SW-846 Mailing List
To sign up for email notifications about methods being released for public comment or added to the SW-846 compendium, check the "sign up for email notifications" button on the Contact Us page.