EPA/HUD Model Refresher Renovator Training Course
EPA/HUD Model Renovator Refresher Course:
Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting
(Instructor Manual EPA-740-R-09-003)
(Student Manual EPA-740-R-09-004)
This refresher training course was developed by the EPA, in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), to train renovation, repair, and painting contractors how to work safely in housing with lead-based paint and comply with EPA's Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule, and HUD's Lead Safe Housing Rule. Below are links for the refresher renovator model training course materials.
On this page you will find:
Training manuals. These are complete printing files that include: cover, spine, modules, and appendices.
Source files. The PowerPoint files of each module are provided for presentation purposes. The PowerPoint and Word source files are also included so that the course can be updated to include pertinent state and local requirements.
- Module 1: Regulations
- Module 2: Testing for Lead-based Paint
- Module 3: Review of Setup Practices
- Module 4: Review of Prohibited Practices, Personal Protective Equipment and Dust Control
- Module 5: Cleaning Activities and Checking Your Work
- Module 6: Recordkeeping
- Module 7: Training Non-Certified Renovators
Note: The instructor course modules are a combination of Word and PowerPoint files. On the left side of each page are instructor notes in Word, and the right side of each page includes a slide and student notes in PowerPoint. The Student course modules are made up of the PowerPoint files only.
- Appendix 1: Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program Regulation (40 CFR Part 745)
- Appendix 2: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Requirements (PDF) | en español (PDF)
- Appendix 3: Renovate Right: Important Lead Hazard Information for Families, Child Care Providers and Schools (PDF) | en español (PDF)
- Appendix 4: Small Entity Compliance Guide to Renovate Right (PDF) | en español (PDF)
- Appendix 5: Steps to Lead Safe Renovation, Repair and Painting (PDF) | en español (PDF)
- Appendix 6: Hands-on Exercises (PDF) | en español (PDF)
- Appendix 7: State and Local Regulatory Requirements (Note: this Appendix is intentionally blank to allow training providers to add applicable state and local regulations.)
- Appendix 8: Regulatory Status of Waste Generated by Contractors and Residents from Lead-Based Paint Activities Conducted in Households (PDF) | en español (PDF)
- Appendix 9: Paint Chip Sample Collection Guide (PDF) | en español (PDF)
- Appendix 10: For more information (PDF) | en español (PDF)
Summary of Updates/Corrections
- October 4, 2011. The course has been significantly revised to address regulatory changes and feedback on course content.
- October 20, 2011. October 20, 2011. Appendix 2 was revised to remove an incorrect regulatory reference.
- July 12, 2012. The Test Kit Documentation Form (page A6-9) that appears in Module 2 and Appendix 6 was replaced. The new version includes a field to record the date each test was taken. Also, page 2 of Module 6 was updated to clarify which of the documents a firm must retain; only the renovators training certificates must be available on the jobsite.