Pacific Southwest Renovation, Repair, and Painting Rule - Tips & Complaints
For Use In AZ, CA, HI, NV, U.S. Pacific Islands and 148 Tribes
About the Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule
- The firm that performs the work must possess RRP firm certification from EPA.
- The job supervisor employed by the firm must have an individual renovator certification and be able to present that certification at any time.
- Each worker must either have an individual renovator certification or have been trained by a supervisor with individual renovator certification.
- The firm must provide the "Renovate Right" brochure to owners and/or tenants before the work begins.
- The firm must maintain adequate written records for three years.
- The firm or workers hired by the firm must perform, at the minimum, the following items at the worksite:
- Post signs clearly defining the work area and warning occupants and other persons not involved in renovation activities to remain outside of the work area;
- Contain the work area so that dust and paint chips do not leave the work area;
- Close windows, doors and/or ducts to minimize exposure to lead dust and chips;
- Cover the floor/ground with plastic sheeting (6-10 feet wide in most cases);
- If using machines to sand, grind, plane, or sandblast, the machine must be connected to a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) vacuum;
- At the end of each work day, waste must be collected, contained and stored safely to prevent access to dust and debris or the release of dust and debris;
- Properly dispose of waste; and
- Clean work area so no dust, debris or residue remains after project is finished.
To report a possible violation to the above requirements, please provide as much information as possible. If you have photos and/or videos of potential violations, please note that in the comment fields provided. It is important that such media accurately portray the work being performed at the location identified in the complaint.
Items marked (required) are information that EPA MUST HAVE in order to follow-up on the tip or complaint
Note: Your contact information submitted at the end of this form can be kept confidential from sources external to EPA.