Webinars about Integrated Pest Management in Schools
The EPA Center of Expertise for School IPM is now hosting its 2016 - 2017 webinar series featuring national experts from across the country relaying educational and practical strategies for establishing and improving integrated pest management programs in schools. We invite you to participate in the upcoming webinars and to review the information on the past topics.
- September 20, 2016 -- Protecting Students from Mosquitoes and the Zika Virus at School
- October 18, 2016 -- Keeping Bats Out of School Buildings
- November 15, 2016 -- Developing an IPM Plan for Your School
- December 13, 2016 -- Managing Cockroaches in Schools
- January 24, 2017 -- Pests of Public Health Importance in Schools
- February 21, 2017 -- Contracting for IPM-Based Pest Control Services for Schools
- March 14, 2017 -- Preventing Pests in School Cafeterias and Kitchens
- April 11, 2017 -- Contending with Invasive Plants on School Grounds
- May 9, 2017 -- Managing Bed Bugs in Schools, Childcare Centers, and Boarding Schools
- May 23, 2017 -- Managing Yellow Jackets and Other Wasps on School Grounds
September 20, 2016 | 2:00-3:30 PM Eastern - Register for the Webinar
These days, we can’t turn to TV, radio, or social media without hearing alarming stories of Zika virus. Mosquito-borne diseases have been responsible for much suffering throughout human history. Today, the diseases they transmit in the United States and its territories, including Zika virus, Dengue, chikungunya virus, and several forms of encephalitis, are continuing threats.
Join us as we learn about the mosquitoes that are of concern to schools and the interim guidance the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers for district and school administrators to help schools keep their students, faculty and staff safe from Zika virus. Also hear firsthand the steps a school district in Florida is taking to reduce mosquito populations in an effort to prevent mosquito-borne illness.
CDR Joseph Laco, US Public Health Service Environmental Heath Scientist, CDC National Center for Environmental Health
Michael Merchant, Ph.D., Urban Entomologist, Texas A&M Research and Extension Center
Dan Lisenko, Grounds and Maintenance Manager, Manatee County (Florida) School District
Follow these links for more information on these previous webinars. Note that recordings of these webinars are included, when available.