National Dredging Team
The National Dredging Team is a federal interagency group that works to ensure that U.S. harbors, channels, and waterways are dredged in a timely and cost-effective manner while environmental protection, restoration and enhancement goals are met. Established in 1995, the National Dredging Team aims to implement the National Dredging Policy, promotes national and regional consistency on dredging issues, provides a mechanism for conflict resolution, and facilitates a forum for information exchange among federal, state, and local agencies, and stakeholders.
The National Dredging Team is co-chaired by EPA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Member agencies include U.S. Department of Transportation, U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Department of the Interior, and U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Participating agencies include U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Geological Survey, and U.S. Navy. The National Dredging Team has partners at state and local levels through Regional Dredging Teams.
The National Dredging Team has addressed issues that affect dredging projects and has developed guidance documents to improve sediment management and promote the beneficial use of dredged materials. To find these documents, please visit our web page for Regulations, Guidance, and Additional Ocean Dumping Information.
Regional Dredging Teams
In several parts of the United States, Regional Dredging Teams have been established to:
- improve dredged material management in local waterways, harbors, estuaries and watersheds;
- provide a forum for issue resolution; and
- increase public education and community involvement at local and regional levels.
Regional Dredging Teams work to facilitate the establishment of Local Planning Groups. Local Planning Groups, often in coordination with Regional Dredging Teams, develop dredged material management plans for local waterways, harbors, estuaries and watersheds. These plans assess and resolve local dredged material management issues, which may be considered as part of overall regional dredged material management efforts.
For more information about what Regional Dredging Teams are in your area, please visit EPA Regional Ocean Dumping Management Program Web pages:
- Region 1 (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT and 10 tribal nations)
- Region 2 (NJ, NY, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and eight tribal nations)
- Region 3 (DE, DC, MD, PA, VA and WV)
- Region 4 (AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC and six tribes)
- Region 6 (AR, LA, NM, OK, TX and 66 tribes)
- Region 9 (AZ, CA, HI, NV, 148 tribal nations, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Federated States of Micronesia and Guam)
- Region 10 (AK, WA, ID, OR and 271 native tribes)