Pollution Prevention Resource Exchange (P2RX)
The Pollution Prevention Resource Exchange (P2Rx™) was a national network of regional P2 information centers whose mission was to advance pollution prevention as a cornerstone of sustainability. The centers built networks, delivered P2 information and measured P2 program results. The P2Rx centers were funded in part through grants from EPA under the Pollution Prevention Information Network grants program.
The goals of the P2Rx Regional Information Centers were to:
- Build and facilitate dynamic regional and national P2 topic driven networks.
- Serve as the trusted source for P2 information.
- Increase the awareness, accessibility and usability of P2 information.
- Evaluate and measure the impact of various tools to achieve our goals.
Although the P2RX network is no longer active, several of these organizations remain leaders in the field of P2.
Region 1, 2: Northeast Waste Management Officials' Association (NEWMOA)
CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VT
NEWMOA’s projects included:
- The National Sustainable Lodging Network, an online community of sustainable hospitality practitioners.
- The Green Lodging Calculator, which helps lodging facilities and sustainable hospitality programs estimate the financial and environmental benefits of sustainable practices.
- Green Chemistry Connection, an online community of green chemistry practitioners and an information clearinghouse of resources to support their work.
Region 3, 4: Environmental Sustainability Resource Center (ESRC)
AL, DC, DE, FL, GA, KY, MD, MS, NC, PA, SC, TN, VA, WV
ESRC provided pollution prevention technical support to the states in EPA Regions 3 and 4:
- E3 (Economy, Energy and the Environment) collaboration among federal agencies, states and local communities.
- Regional training and webinars.
- Technical assistance through the Kentucky Pollution Prevention Program.
Region 5: Great Lakes Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable (GLRPPR)
IL, IN, MI, MN, NY, OH, PA, WI, Ontario, Canada
GLRPPR projects included:
- A series of LibGuides including the Pollution Prevention 101 LibGuide and the Green Business LibGuide.
- Data initiative designed to bring together previously siloed public data sets (Toxics Release Inventory, Greenhouse Gas data, economic data from the Census Bureau) from several different federal agencies and combine them in ways that will help P2 TAPs make data-driven decisions about how to target their technical assistance. Publications related to this and other GLRPPR projects.
Region 6: Zero Waste Network
AR, LA, NM, OK, TX
The Zero Waste Network's projects included:
- A P2 success story database that provides examples of how a real facility saved money, reduced waste and/or lowered their regulatory burden through an innovative P2 practice.
- P2 Options, a set of best management practices for a variety of industries to save money and reduce waste.
- Resource Exchange (RENEW) - A tool designed to help facilities exchange materials that would otherwise be disposed of.
Region 7: Pollution Prevention Regional Information Center (P2RIC)
IA, KS, MO, NE
P2RIC's projects included:
- P2 Infohouse, a searchable online collection of more than 50,000 P2 related publications, fact sheets, case studies and technical reports.
- Resources and information to achieve resource conservation (energy efficiency, water conservation, waste avoidance, toxics use reduction), focused on the Triple Bottom Line evaluation and adoption of business strategies, management and practices.
- P2Ric webinars.
Region 8: Peaks to Prairies Pollution Prevention Information Center
CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY
Peaks to Prairies' projects included:
- E3 in Montana Agriculture
- Tribal Pollution Prevention Network
- Homes Across America
- Resources, toolkits and webinars
Region 9: Western Sustainability and Pollution Prevention Network (WSPPN)
AZ, CA, HI, NV
WSPPN projects included:
- P2 training and webinars, including online introductory video courses in P2 101, and Green Chemistry 101.
- The Green Business Program Resource, which includes information about green business certification programs and links to selected certification programs across the country. WSPPN collaborated with the California Green Business Program Network to help replicate California's green business program tools and measurement tracking systems nationally.
- A partnership with California, Oregon and Washington to advance the collaborative goals of the 2015 West Coast Green Chemistry and Safer Products Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
Region 10: Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Resource Center (PPRC)
WA, ID, OR, AK
PPRC's projects included:
- Greening Sports technical support, including The Green Sports Directory, a guide to local, regional and national contacts that can help sports facility managers "green" their operations; Rapid Response service; and E-Waste Directory.
- Spray Technique Analysis and Research (STAR®) and NESHAP training for painters and those that apply coatings, delivered both in English and Spanish
- Toxics reduction, including heavy metals reduction, like cadmium and zinc.
- EcoBiz, environmental business certification program in Oregon for auto repair & body shops, landscapers, and car washes.