Grant Programs for Pollution Prevention
On this page:
- Pollution Prevention (P2) Grant Program
- Source Reduction Assistance (SRA) Grant Program
- P2 and SRA Grants Get Results
- Guidance for Reporting Grant Outcomes and Outputs
- EPA Grant Guidance
Pollution Prevention (P2) grants provide technical assistance to businesses in order to help them develop and adopt source reduction practices (also known as “pollution prevention” or “P2”). P2 means reducing or eliminating pollutants from entering any waste stream or otherwise released into the environment prior to recycling, treatment, or disposal. In keeping with the Pollution Prevention Act of 1990, EPA is encouraging P2 because implementing these approaches can result in reductions in toxic pollutants, the use of water, energy and other raw materials, while also lowering business costs. P2 grants are awarded to states, state entities (colleges and universities recognized as instrumentalities of the state), the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, any territory or possession of the U.S., and federally recognized tribes and intertribal consortia.
Hear EPA’s Deputy Assistant Administrator for Pollution Prevention, Jennie Romer, discuss the FY 2022-2023 P2 grants:
Tweets by @EPAChemSafety
Hear from Deputy Assistant Administrator Jennie Romer about big news from @EPA: $23 million for #EPAP2grants with help from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, emphasizing environmental justice and climate change. https://t.co/r1sL5MQpNy #BuildingABetterAmerica pic.twitter.com/zzpidxl6nU— EPA Chemical Safety (@EPAChemSafety) February 9, 2022
#EPAP2grants have helped communities across America reduce GHGs, conserve water, and reduce the use of hazardous materials. Stay tuned for some on the ground examples of these grants in action! https://t.co/r1sL5MQpNy #BuildingABetterAmerica pic.twitter.com/YVVbAqqokN— EPA Chemical Safety (@EPAChemSafety) February 11, 2022
P2 Grant Program Funding Availability
EPA released two P2 Grant Funding Availability Announcements for FY 2022 – FY 2023, the application period has closed.
- EPA-HQ-OPPT-2022-001: Approximately $9.38 million in total federal pollution prevention grant funding over a two-year funding cycle ($4.69 million in FY 2022 funds and $4.69 million in FY 2023 funds). Individual grant awards could be up to $800,000 for the two-year funding period or $400,000 funded per year. Cost share/match requirement is fifty percent. Federally-recognized tribes and intertribal consortia that receive a P2 grant award and place the approved workplan into a performance partnership agreement will have their cost share/match requirement reduced from fifty percent to zero.
- EPA-I-OCSPP-OPPT-FY2022-001: Through funds provided by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, $13.9 million in total federal pollution prevention grant funding to support a two-year P2 grant agreement (FY 2022 and FY 2023). Grants will be fully funded at the initial award with a maximum individual award ceiling of $350,000. There will be no cost share/match requirements and assistance agreements are ineligible for inclusion into performance partnership grant agreements.
P2 Grant Program Applications and Resources
- FY 2022 and FY 2023 P2 Grant Request for Applications using recurring-appropriated funding: FON: EPA-HQ-OPPT-2022-001 (pdf)
- FY2022 and FY 2023 P2 Grant Request for Applications using Bipartisan Infrastructure Law-appropriated funding FON: EPA-I-OCSPP-OPPT-FY2022-001 (pdf)
- P2-EJ Facility Mapping Tool
- P2 Grant Program Resources for Applicants
- P2 Grant Webinars
- Purpose of the P2 Grant Program
SRA Grant Program Funding Availability
EPA Regions 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 and 10 issued a Request for Application (RFA) for eligible entities to implement pollution prevention projects through the SRA grant program. SRA grants can support research, experiments, surveys, demonstration projects, education and training related to source reduction approaches which is also known as “pollution prevention” or “P2”.
SRA Grant Program Applications and Resources
- FY 2022 and FY 2023 SRA Grant Request for Applications: EPA-REGIONS-LCRD-2022-01 (pdf)
- Access the Funding Opportunity via Grants.gov.
- EPA will host an informational webinar on June 13, 2022, at 2:30 p.m. EDT/11:30 a.m. PDT.
Between 2011-2020, the EPA’s P2 Program issued 504 assistance grants for $54.1 million, which helped American businesses identify, develop, and adopt P2 approaches resulting in the following benefits (calculated over a 4-year rolling period to account for the reoccurring benefits the P2 actions provide):
- Measuring Pollution Prevention
- Collecting and Reporting P2 Results: Regional P2 Measurement Guidance