An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Training for Private Applicators under the EPA Plan

Private applicators have the option to take EPA training instead of submitting a copy of a valid certificate.*

EPA periodically offers a free training course via webinar. The training is a total of 12 hours, presented on two consecutive days, as indicated in the chart below.

EPA is currently offering the training once a quarter. Private applicators who choose the training option to obtain certification must take the webinar training course.

To use this method to become certified as a private applicator, submit to the EPA regional office where you intend to apply restricted use pesticides:

  • a complete application form; and
  • a copy of the “Proof of Completion” that you can download and print when you finish the webinar training.

You must include the two random codes presented in the webinar training on your “Proof of Completion.”

Register for Training

Space is limited in each training course. To register, send an email to by the registration date indicated below with your full name and preferred date(s) from the options below. You will receive an email confirming your acceptance in the course and providing information on how to access the training.

Training Dates

Courses start promptly at 10:30 a.m. eastern time.

2019 Course Dates Register by
Wednesday, February 13th and Thursday, February 14th February 7, 2019
Wednesday, May 15th and Thursday, May 16th May 9, 2019
Wednesday, August 14th and Thursday, August 15th August 8, 2019
Wednesday, November 13th and Thursday, November 14th November 7, 2019

* Some states require a state certification to purchase restricted use pesticides from dealers within the state. Therefore, if you plan to purchase from a dealer located in a particular state, you should check with the state to determine if possession of the federal certificate will allow you to purchase RUPs.