An official website of the United States government.

Due to a lapse in appropriations, EPA websites will not be regularly updated. In the event of an environmental emergency imminently threatening the safety of human life or where necessary to protect certain property, the EPA website will be updated with appropriate information. Please note that all information on the EPA website may not be up to date, and transactions and inquiries submitted to the EPA website may not be processed or responded to until appropriations are enacted.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Areas of Indian Country Covered by the EPA Plan

Areas of Indian country covered by the EPA Plan for certification are those that are not covered by another EPA-approved certification plan.

Most areas are NOT covered by an EPA-approved plan, so this new plan would apply to most locations. Below is a list of the areas that are covered by another EPA-approved certification plan. 

Areas Covered by Another EPA-Approved Certification Plan

  • Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation
  • Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe
  • Rosebud Sioux Tribe
  • Shoshone-Bannock Tribes of the Fort Hall Reservation
  • Navajo Nation
  • Santee Sioux Tribe of Nebraska
  • Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation
  • The White Earth Band of Chippewa Indians

Unless you are applying restricted use pesticides (RUPs) within these areas, you will need to follow the procedures set out in the EPA plan to become certified to apply RUPs in Indian country. If you would like to apply RUPs in any of the areas of Indian country mentioned above, contact the appropriate tribal authority for information on how to comply with the EPA-approved certification plan for that area of Indian country.

The federal certifications issued under the EPA plan are not valid outside of the areas of Indian country covered.  A state or tribe may decide to recognize the EPA certification, or may issue a reciprocal certificate based on the federal certificate.  The applicator should check with the state or tribe where he/she intends to apply RUPs to determine the requirements for apply RUPs in that area.