What EPA is Doing to Reduce Pesticide Drift
We are actively engaged in several initiatives to help minimize pesticide drift problems:
- Our new voluntary Pesticide Drift Reduction Technology (DRT) program will encourage the manufacture, marketing, and use of safer spray technology and equipment scientifically verified to reduce pesticide drift.
- We evaluate potential for drift as a routine part of our pesticide risk assessments and are using new approaches for estimating drift impacts on:
- communities living near fields where crops are grown,
- water sources, and
- the environment.
- In collaboration with experts at USDA, universities, industry, and our state and international partners, we are examining new studies and improving scientific models and methods for estimating pesticide drift, potential exposure, and risks from drift.
- As we assess new pesticides and re-evaluate older pesticides, we evaluate the potential for each pesticide to drift and strengthen labeling as needed.
- We are improving the clarity and enforceability of product label directions and drift management restrictions.
- We are promoting applicator education and training programs.