Improvements for Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Test Procedures - Supplemental Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
On this page:
Note: After review in accordance with Klain memo (available here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/regulatory-freeze-pending-review/), EPA is re-issuing this action on March 10, 2021 unchanged from the version signed on 12/23/20.
EPA is publishing a supplemental notice of proposed rulemaking (SNPRM) to improve the Greenhouse gas Emissions Model (GEM) compliance tool for heavy-duty vehicles while more closely matching the outputs produced by the original GEM version 3.0 that was used to establish the CO2 standards for Model Years 2021 and later in the 2016 Heavy-duty Phase 2 final rule.
These amendments would:
- Improve the GEM compliance tool
- Increase compliance flexibility
- Include adjustment factors for GEM outputs
- Clarify existing requirements
- Correct errors
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 82 K, December 2020, EPA-420-F-20-052, About PDF)
- Notice of Supplemental Proposed Rulemaking (PDF) (6 pp, 349 K, published June 29, 2021, About PDF)
- Proposed Rule for Improvements for Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Test Procedures, and other Amendments
- Final Rule for Improvements for Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Test Procedures, and other Amendments
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Model (GEM)