SBIR Funding Opportunities
Notice of Intent
EPA intends to release its 2022-2023 SBIR Phase I Broad Agency Announcement (BAA)/solicitation in mid-June with a close date in mid-August.
EPA will hold an informational webinar prior to the release on June 1, 2022 at 2 p.m. EDT. For more information, visit the webinar event page.
The proposed topics for this year’s solicitation are listed here. Given EPA’s modest budget we ask that proposals be responsive to these topics.
Proposed 2022-2023 EPA SBIR Topics
Clean and Safe Water
- Decentralized wastewater treatment (septic system) technologies for intentional non-potable reuse
- Technologies to process, sort and identify microplastics
- In-stream aquatic trash capture technologies
- Sensors to detect high priority contaminants of emerging concern (including PFAS)
Air Quality & Climate
- Ambient air monitoring technology for air toxics
- Continuous Emission Monitoring System for metal HAPs
- Air monitoring technology for methane emissions from fugitive sources
- Technologies that reduce exposure to radon in buildings
- Technologies for improved recovery of refrigerant from air conditioning (AC) and refrigeration equipment
- Innovative technology solutions that build community resilience to disasters
- Miniaturized oil spill droplet size sensor for emergency response underwater vehicles
Circular Economy/Sustainable Materials
- Innovative technologies that help consumers prevent food waste in the acquisition, preparation, and storage of food
- Innovative technologies or materials that will improve the U.S. recycling system
- Innovative reduction, reuse, and recycling solutions to advance plastic circularity
- PCB-free color
- Rubber anti-degradant technologies for tires and other rubber products that are lower concern for human health and the environment
- Innovative enhanced efficiency fertilizers
- Software tools and machine-learning applications for systematic review in science assessment for chemical evaluation
For more information on future EPA SBIR events and funding opportunities, please sign up for the EPA SBIR Listserv.