Healthy School Environments
Organizations to Receive Funding for Healthy Learning Environments
Protecting Children in Indian Country
Lead Awareness in Indian Country: Keeping our Children Healthy! provides practical, community-based resources to reduce childhood lead exposure.
- Other EPA topics for educators, school administrators, and parents:
- View information about healthy schools in Spanish / Aprenda acerca de cómo establecer y mejorar los ambientes escolares sanos.
- Registered EPA disinfectants for use against COVID-19.
- The Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Tools for Schools program provides school staff with a set of webinars on best ventilation and cleaning practices, updated to reflect current conditions.
Air: Indoor air
- Creating healthy indoor air quality (IAQ) in schools
Air: Outdoor air near schools
- Best Practices for Reducing Near-Road Pollution Exposure at Schools
- Air Quality Flag Program - learn how schools can raise flags that correspond to how clean or polluted the air that day is.
- Learn about asbestos
- Asbestos and school buildings. Includes information on:
- Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA)
- How schools comply with AHERA
- School asbestos management plans
- Resources for schools and parents
- Informacion en español - para parientes, maestros y otros empleados escolares
- Learn about asthma
- Managing Asthma in the School Environment
- Managing Asthma: A Guide for Schools (PDF)
- Roles of state asthma programs in Implementing school-based asthma interventions
- Asthma and Indoor Air Exposure
Buses and vehicle idling
- Products that meet the Safer Choice standard
- Green Cleaning, Sanitizing, and Disinfecting: A Toolkit for Early Care and Education
- Practicing effective cleaning and maintenance (a component of the Model Program for the State School Environmental Health Guidelines)
- 2017 webinar on the return on investment of green cleaning in schools
- Environmentally preferable purchasing
Lead and Children
- Environmental health facts about children and lead exposure
- Federal Action Plan to Reduce Childhood Lead Exposure
- Protecting Children from Lead Exposures (PDF)
- Protecting children where they learn and play
Lead in Drinking Water
- Basic Information about Lead in Drinking Water
- Lead in Drinking Water in Schools and Childcare Facilities
- Lead Testing in School and Child Care Program Drinking Water Grant
- Learn about mold
- Mold and indoor air quality in schools
- Mold remediation in schools and commercial buildings
- Mold resources for schools and commercial buildings
- Learn about Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- PCBs in building materials for school administrators, building owners and managers
Pesticides and pest management
Assess Your School's Health
Top Ten Ways to Make Your School Healthier
- Clear the air inside.
- Clear the air outside.
- Reduce/remove radon in school buildings.
- Use chemicals carefully.
- Test the water.
- Get the lead out.
- Eliminate mercury.
- Cover up.
- Use toxics with caution.
- Educate yourself.