Healthy School Environments
EPA Announces the Selection of Organizations to Receive Funding for Healthy Learning Environments
Protecting Children in Indian Country
Lead Awareness in Indian Country: Keeping our Children Healthy! provides practical, community-based resources to reduce childhood lead exposure.
New Curriculum to Protect Children in Indian Country and Communities from Lead Exposure
Read the news release
3Ts for Reducing Lead in Drinking WaterEPA's 3Ts - Training, Testing, and Taking Action - provides tools for schools, child care facilities, states, and water systems to implement voluntary lead in drinking water testing programs.
- Other EPA topics for educators, school administrators, and parents:
- View information about healthy schools in Spanish / Aprenda acerca de cómo establecer y mejorar los ambientes escolares sanos.
- Registered EPA disinfectants for use against COVID-19.
- The Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Tools for Schools program provides school staff with a set of webinars on best ventilation and cleaning practices, updated to reflect current conditions.
Air: Indoor air
- Creating healthy indoor air quality (IAQ) in schools
Air: Outdoor air near schools
- Best Practices for Reducing Near-Road Pollution Exposure at Schools
- Air Quality Flag Program - learn how schools can raise flags that correspond to how clean or polluted the air that day is.
- Learn about asbestos
- Asbestos and school buildings. Includes information on:
- Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA)
- How schools comply with AHERA
- School asbestos management plans
- Resources for schools and parents
- Informacion en español - para parientes, maestros y otros empleados escolares
- Learn about asthma
- Managing Asthma in the School Environment
- Managing Asthma: A Guide for Schools (PDF)
- Roles of state asthma programs in Implementing school-based asthma interventions
- Asthma and Indoor Air Exposure
Buses and vehicle idling
- Products that meet the Safer Choice standard
- Green Cleaning, Sanitizing, and Disinfecting: A Toolkit for Early Care and Education
- Practicing effective cleaning and maintenance (a component of the Model Program for the State School Environmental Health Guidelines)
- 2017 webinar on the return on investment of green cleaning in schools
- Environmentally preferable purchasing
Lead and Children
- Environmental health facts about children and lead exposure
- Federal Action Plan to Reduce Childhood Lead Exposure
- Protecting Children from Lead Exposures (PDF)
- Protecting children where they learn and play
Lead in Drinking Water
- Basic Information about Lead in Drinking Water
- Lead in Drinking Water in Schools and Childcare Facilities
- Lead Testing in School and Child Care Program Drinking Water Grant
- Learn about mold
- Mold and indoor air quality in schools
- Mold remediation in schools and commercial buildings
- Mold resources for schools and commercial buildings
- Learn about Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- PCBs in building materials for school administrators, building owners and managers
Pesticides and pest management
Assess Your School's Health
Top Ten Ways to Make Your School Healthier
- Clear the air inside.
- Clear the air outside.
- Reduce/remove radon in school buildings.
- Use chemicals carefully.
- Test the water.
- Get the lead out.
- Eliminate mercury.
- Cover up.
- Use toxics with caution.
- Educate yourself.