Tribal Utilities Role in Safe Drinking Water on Tribal Lands
Provide Safe Drinking Water
Staff who manage, operate and maintain public water systems in Indian country have a key role in providing safe drinking water to the community. Utility staff is responsible for ensuring compliance of their systems with the National Primary Drinking Water Regulations under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).
Ensuring compliance includes:
- Appropriately treating source water;
- Repairing or replacing infrastructure components;
- Collecting, analyzing and reporting drinking water compliance data to EPA; and
- Communicating with customers.
For more information on roles and responsibilities:
- Talking to Your Decision Makers: A Best Practices Guide provides tips for working successfully with decision makers in your community to meet your water system’s needs.
- Talking to Your Customers About Chronic Contaminants in Drinking Water: A Best Practices Guide provides a summary about the dangers of chronic contaminants and how water systems protect against contamination.