There are a common set of requirements for all Class I wells and Class I hazardous waste wells. The common requirements are categorized by:
- Siting - Demonstrates fluids are injected into a formation that is below the lowermost formation containing a USDW, and within 1/4 mile of a well.
- Construction - Requires a multilayered design to prevent fluids from entering USDWs.
- Operation, monitoring, and testing - Ensures multiple safeguards to ensure the injected wastewater is fully confined.
- Record keeping and reporting - Ensures that there are no leaks in the casing, tubing, or packer and that the injected fluid is contained within the injection zone.
- Closure - Informs the UIC program about the operation of the well and all testing results.
Requirements for Class I Wells and Class I Hazardous Wells (PDF)(4 pp, 32 K)
A summary of the requirements for Class I and Class I hazardous waste wells.