Water Quality Standards: Regulations and Resources
Why are Water Quality Standards Important?
Water quality standards protect the conditions of lakes, rivers, estuaries and other water bodies for fishing, swimming and other uses.
Water Quality Standards Where You Live
States and authorized tribes develop new and revised water quality standards relevant to their local situations. Under the Clean Water Act (CWA), we must review and approve them before their use for purposes such as discharge permitting and assessment of water body quality.
Relationship Between Water Quality Criteria and Water Quality Standards
Water quality criteria - one of three core components to water quality standards - identify pollutant levels or conditions that protect water body uses, such as fishing and swimming.
- Priorities for Water Quality Criteria and Standards Programs FY 2017-2018
- Water Quality Standards Handbook
- Reference Library of Policy and Guidance Documents
- Guidance for Conducting Fish Consumption Surveys
- Use Attainability Analysis (UAA) Process Diagram with Tips for Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) Receiving Waters