EPA Section 508 Policies and Procedures
The EPA procedures align with the Revised Section 508 Standards issued by the U.S. Access Board integrating Section 508 technical requirements into the IT lifecycle for the Agency's Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and for complying with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, as amended (29 U.S.C. § 794d).
On this page:
- EPA Section 508 Policy
- EPA Section 508 Procedures
- EPA Data Visualization/GIS Accessibility Procedure
- External Resources
EPA Section 508 Policy
This EPA Section 508 Policy (pdf) (366.55 KB) ensures access to the Agency's ICT and complies with the Revised Section 508 Standards issued by the U.S. Access Board and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, as amended(29 U.S.C. § 794d).
EPA Section 508 Procedures
- The EPA Section 508 Acquisition Procedure (pdf) (551.66 KB) describes the steps EPA offices must take to ensure that any acquired ICT is accessible to individuals with disabilities.
- The EPA Section 508 Testing Procedure (pdf) (325.96 KB) describes the steps that EPA offices must perform to test their ICT and verify compliance and interoperability claims.
- The EPA Section 508 Exceptions Procedure (pdf) (227.28 KB) describes the steps that EPA offices must take when seeking an exception to the requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, as amended (29 U.S.C. § 794d) for ICT.
Working with Maps, Apps, and Dashboards
- Analysts at the Environmental Protection Agency apply their expertise in data science and data visualization to protect human health and the environment. Maps, apps, and dashboards provide mission-critical insights into EPA programs and support Agency operations nationwide. To maximize the digital accessibility of these products, the Agency provides guidance and procedures.
- The Data Visualization/GIS Accessibility Procedure (pdf) addresses and establishes accessibility requirements, recommendations, and exceptions for content items developed by EPA using information and communications technology (ICT), geographic information systems (GIS), and business intelligence software (BIS). This procedure applies to ICT, GIS, and BIS used by the EPA for data visualization and analysis.
- Thoughtfully designed and digitally accessible maps are key for communicating EPA's impact to its stakeholders. In 2023, the Office of Mission Support developed this cartographic guidance to provide a unified, recognizable, and professional visual identity to EPA's various map products, agnostic of the software or service used. The effort also attempted to maximize accessibility best practices to ensure that Agency maps, and the data they display, can be accessed interpreted, understood, and used by the broadest audiences possible.
- Learn more about how to apply the procedure by working through this StoryMap - Design for Everyone. Contact us to learn more about how EPA is striving to maximize the digital accessibility of its maps, apps, and dashboards.
- GSA's Section 508.gov
- United States Access Board Provides standards and guidelines issued under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and Section 255 of the Communications Act.
- Federal Acquisition Regulations: Chapter 39.2 is all about Information and Communications Technology in federal acquisitions.
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG): Providing the technical standards for website and mobile application development.