Agriculture and Soils
Productive soils, a favorable climate, and clean and abundant water resources are all essential for growing crops, raising livestock, and for ecosystems to continue to provide the critical provisioning services that humans need.
More Information from EPA
- EnviroAtlas Food, Fuel, and Materials
Information from USDA
- Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Soil Health site
- USDA Agriculture Research Service: Climate Change, Soils and Emissions National Program
Soil is a living and life-giving natural resource. As world population and food production demands rise, keeping our soil healthy and productive is of paramount importance. So much so that we believe improving the health of our Nation’s soil is one of the most important conservation endeavors of our time.
Information from other sources
- Cover Crop Topic Room -- Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) information on the value and use of cover crops, including benefits to soil health.
- Soil Management-- Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) information on strategies used by farmers and ranchers to increase soil stabilization and reduce soil erosion.