Risk Evaluation for 1-Bromopropane (1-BP)
1-Bromopropane (1-BP) is a chemical used as a solvent in spray adhesives and dry cleaning, and as a degreaser. 1‑BP is primarily used as a solvent cleaner in vapor and immersion degreasing operations to clean optics, electronics and metals, but it has also been reported to be used as a solvent in industries using aerosol-applied adhesives such as foam cushion manufacturing. Other uses such as lubricant, refrigerant, and non-pesticidal agricultural uses have also been reported.
On this page:
- Problem Formulation for 1-BP risk evaluation under amended TSCA
- Scope of 1-BP risk evaluation under amended TSCA
- Review of 1-BP prior to the Lautenberg Act
- CASRN: 106-94-5
- Initiated: December 19, 2016
- Docket: EPA-HQ-OPPT-2016-0741
This problem formulation refines the scope of the 1-BP risk evaluation by clarifying the chemical uses that EPA expects to evaluate and describing how EPA expects to conduct the evaluation. This is an important interim step prior to completing and publishing the final risk evaluation. The problem formulation document will be available for comment until July 26, 2018 in the docket listed above.
Scope of 1-BP Risk Evaluation under Amended TSCA
This scope document includes the hazards, exposures, conditions of use, and the potentially exposed or susceptible subpopulations EPA expects to consider in its risk evaluation of 1-BP conducted pursuant to TSCA Section 6(b)(4).
- Read the scope document for 1-BP under amended TSCA
- View the supplemental files for the 1-BP scope document:
After releasing the scope documents, the dockets for each of the first 10 chemicals were open for public comments. Read EPA’s Responses to Public Comments Received on the Scope Documents for the First Ten Chemicals for Risk Evaluation under TSCA. This document addresses cross-cutting public comments received in response to EPA publishing the scope documents.
Review of 1-BP Prior to the Lautenberg Act
Prior to the Lautenberg Act, EPA completed a draft risk assessment for 1-BP, addressing occupational and consumer uses in spray adhesives, dry-cleaning (including spot cleaners), and degreasing operations and published the following information.
- Draft Assessment
- Peer Review Plan
- Peer Review Charge Questions (Draft)
- Public Comments (Docket: EPA-HQ-OPPT-2015-0084)
- Model Averaging for Dichotomous Response Benchmark Dose (MADr-BMD) Tool
- Fact Sheet on 1-BP