Region 9: Children’s Environmental Health in the Pacific Southwest
Choose from the resources below to learn about children’s environmental health hazards in Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, the Pacific Islands, and over 140 Tribal Nations.
- EPA Region 9’s children’s health coordinator is Jacquelyn Menghrajani (firstname.lastname@example.org) at (415) 972-3259.
- EPA Region 9's healthy schools coordinator is Eric Canteenwala (email@example.com) at (415) 972-3932.
- EPA Region 9's environmental education coordinator is Jorine Campopiano (firstname.lastname@example.org) at (213) 244-1808.
- Western States Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit: The Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSU) are a network of experts in children's environmental health located throughout North America. The PEHSU was created to ensure that health professionals and communities have access to specialized medical knowledge and resources for children faced with a health risk due to a natural or human-made environmental hazard. The Western States PEHSU is available to answer questions from healthcare professionals, parents, care givers, and others about children's symptoms that may be related to environmental exposures. Whatever your concern, please know the PEHSU shares your dedication to children's health and well-being.
- Service Area: California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, and Tribal Nations
- Contact Information: Phone - (415) 206-4083 Toll-free - (866) 827-3478 E-mail - email@example.com
Children's Environmental Health and Disease Prevention Research Centers
To better understand the effects of environmental exposures on children's health, the EPA and National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences established joint Children's Environmental Health and Disease Prevention Research Centers to explore ways to reduce children's health risks from environmental factors. There are currently five Children's Centers in Region 9:
- UC Berkeley Center for Integrative Research on Childhood Leukemia
- UC Berkeley Center for Environmental Research and Children's Health
- UC Berkeley/Stanford Children's Environment Health Center
- UC Davis Center for Children's Environmental Health
- UC San Francisco Children's Environmental Health and Disease Prevention
Region 9 Clean, Green, and Healthy Schools E-Newsletter
The monthly e-newsletter provides information on current school news from across the country, funding opportunities, and green school meetings, conferences, and events. Please email the EPA Region 9 Healthy Schools Coordinator, Eric Canteenwala (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you're interested to receive this monthly e-newsletter.
The Story of Health
EPA Region 9, in partnership with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), the Collaborative on Health and the Environment (CHE), the University of California, San Francisco, Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit (UCSF PEHSU), the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, California Environmental Protection Agency (OEHHA), and the Science and Environmental Health Network (SEHN) has created The Story of Health, Exit a multi-media e-book. The book uses case-based stories to simplify the science of health with stories of fictional people, their families, and communities and helps readers explore the risk factors for disease as well as how to prevent disease and promote health and resilience. This interactive document has multiple chapters and features prompts for embedded information and links to online resources.